Elvis Andrus - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Elvis Andrus

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Elvis Andrus

Postby mt99808 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:04 am

Is he expected to start the season with the Rangers or will it be similar to Wieters? What kind of numbers can we expect from him this year? I just finished my draft tonight and I'm really hurting for SB's. I also waited for my very last pick to pick up a SS because they were all going way to early. I'm thinking he may hold some value in my case. Right now I have O-cab with C. Guzman still available too.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Elvis Andrus

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:11 am

They moved Young to make room for him so I assume he starts fulltime. He'll be batting in the bottom of the order and wasn't an amazing hitter in the minors so I dunno about how valuable he'll be as a starting SS. I like him a lot more as MI.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby siQ_innovation » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:31 am

I don't think he'll provide much pop or many RBIs since he'll be at the bottom of the order but he could be a cheap provider of SBs.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:49 am

I think Elvis will get carved up by major league pitching this year and not be fantasy relevant. He definitely has speed, but no power and likely a very low average his first year in the majors as a 20 year old. An AL only sleeper.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby DSheppard » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:18 am

As a ranger fan who has followed his every move...

Hes not a fantasy player right now. He will start and it will be on opening day (they've said they do not want to "play games" with his eligibility since its a bad relationship starter with the player), but hes not ready as a hitter and while he won't be sent down too quickly he could at least lose some starts to vizquel.

But beyond on all that, he is not likely to get on base enough to steal enough bases to be mixed league fantasy relevant, and while Im sure he will get to run quite a bit it should be considered that hes the 9 spot in front of Ian Kinsler... first base should be scoring position with kinslers barrage of XBH.

I expect him to develop over a few years into a fantasy player as he adds a little more pop and will likely hit for a good average eventually, but for 2009 I'm only expecting him to be someone you pick up in AL only leagues when hes on a hot streak.

So uh yeah.. in real baseball the defense (errors at 19 in AA, who cares) will help him contribute and I expect him to develop into a good player pretty quickly, but for 2009 fantasy I dont think so, at least until we see how often he runs. Id rather try to make a trade to gain some speed if you really need it.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 am

RAmst23 wrote:I think Elvis will get carved up by major league pitching this year and not be fantasy relevant. He definitely has speed, but no power and likely a very low average his first year in the majors as a 20 year old. An AL only sleeper.

Somehow I kind of expect Carlos Gomez '08 numbers minus the HR's and RBI's. 25-30 SB's with a .250 BA and .300 OBP. Exceedingly painful from a fantasy prospective.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:07 am

Ender wrote:They moved Young to make room for him so I assume he starts fulltime. He'll be batting in the bottom of the order and wasn't an amazing hitter in the minors so I dunno about how valuable he'll be as a starting SS. I like him a lot more as MI.

They signed Omar Vizquel and still have Arias (who I like better than Andrus for 2009). I do think Andrus will get a majority of PT for political reasons (JD trying to save his job by putting as many of "his" boys on the field as possible) but I don't think he'll more than 400 at bats. Andrus will probably have a low batting average, an extremely low OBP and little power. Considering his limited chances (due to PT splits and low OBP) I can't see expecting much more than 20 SBs for 2009. I still like him to one day be a Furcal with ++ defense, but think thats 3 or so years down the road. I would have much, much rather them left Young at SS and Crush at 3B to make way for Smoak forcing his way to the bigs by mid-summer.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 147)

Postby aravtrain21 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:08 am

I would say that Andrus is Furcal Lite. .270-.275, 5-8 HR, 45-50 RBI, 80-85 R, 20-30 SB. You could certainly do better for a starting SS, however, you could do worse. The only reason he is getting a shot at the majors this year is because Young's body is breaking down as we speak. He would be a liability at SS in an already horrendous defense. Andrus is the best SS in the organization to fill the position but in now way a top prospect destined for a breakout season. He is worth a spot on the pine in case of injury to your everyday SS just because he will get regular AB.
aravtrain21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:13 am

Visquel, Arias and Young are much more consistent SSs right now defensively. Potential is great, but Andrus still makes a lot of "unforced" errors. That's expected as a young guy, but for my money I'd rather have Young at SS than him starting in a foreign position and have an error-prone rookie slated at SS. Especially one that wont hit well.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 147)

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:25 pm

hot4tx wrote: I would have much, much rather them left Young at SS and Crush at 3B to make way for Smoak forcing his way to the bigs by mid-summer.

Young at SS and Davis at 3B (and Kinsler at 2B) continues a long tradition of terrible defense which in turn contributes to killing their pitchers. There is a ballpark effect but the Rangers defense is a huge, rarely mentioned reason for the Rangers poor pitching. I don't agree with bringing Andrus up this season but Young (3B) and Davis (1B or DH) had to happen to help their pitching. There's room for Smoak since he's better than any of the 1B/DH options with Davis filling the other position.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers