please help. how would you go about getting pitching? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

please help. how would you go about getting pitching?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

please help. how would you go about getting pitching?

Postby hobobot » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:22 pm

We just drafted, I'm pretty happy overall. it is a 10 team with a 28 man roster (i know its deep). The categories we score are:
batters
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS
pitchers
W, K, QS (quality starts), ERA, WHIP, SV/HD (saves plus holds)

Here is my lineup:

C Brian McCann
1B Lance Berkman
2B Dan Uggla
SS Jose Reyes
3B Aramis Ramirez
IF Joey Votto
LF Andre Ethier
CF Grady Sizemore
RF Matt Kemp
OF Nate McLouth
DH Johnny Damon
UTIL Edwin Encarnacion

SP Roy Oswalt
SP Matt Cain
SP Chris Young
SP Javier Vazquez
RP Heath Bell
RP Mike Gonzalez
RP Brandon Lyon
P Max Scherzer
P JJ Putz

B Mike Cameron
B Felipe Lopez
B Elijah Dukes
B Chase Headley
B Jason Kubel (we need a DH)
B John Smoltz
B Jered Weaver

Any major adjustments you see that i need? I like the mix that all my position players have to contribute to HR, SB, and AVG. It also looks like i'm a strong contender for OPS. My SV/HD looks so so, but i pick up holds with Putz. My bench has some high ceiling players and I'll watch to see how they pan out. Any thoughts on how you'd approach any trades, what do you think are my major weaknesses?
hobobot
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: please help. how would you go about getting pitching?

Postby NCAARules » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:19 pm

You know, I'm trying ... really I am ... but i really like your team. I'm not sure I see any weaknesses.

My question is - did you intend to be so NL-heavy, or did it just work out that way?

For being a deep league, as you say, I can't even argue with your bench. But certainly your frontline is very solid, and the bench should be adequate as well.

I know I didn't give you much to go on, but if you have a chance to take a look at my NL-only, I'd appreciate it.

viewtopic.php?t=372977
NCAARules
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hobobot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:56 am

My draft strategy was to load up on offense and then plug in pitching where i could in the later rounds. I got Oswalt in around the 7th round so i figured he was too much value to let him slip further. For pitching i was targeting strike outs and i'm looking pretty good. I'll probably be punting ERA, but i think i can contend in strikeouts, and whip. Obviously i prefered NL pitching but i wasn't overly aggressive with it. I picked Max Scherzer a little early because i thought he was RP eligible and could add more K's from RP position.
hobobot
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dmendro » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:01 am

I would trade McLouth for pitching right now. No way does he repeat last years hot two months. Sell high before people see the real McLouth.

I would also be looking for a good alternative to Either and Johnny Damon.

As far as pitching goes. Your starters are high risk high reward. Cain has never been consitent over a full season and Oswalt is struggling in the WBC right now and trying to make a comeback from last year. All 3 of your RP's could be setup men by May, so you might want to pick up at least 1 of their possible replacements or you could find yourself on the short end of Saves come the end of the season.

viewtopic.php?t=373163
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hobobot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 am

dmendro wrote:I would trade McLouth for pitching right now. No way does he repeat last years hot two months. Sell high before people see the real McLouth.

I would also be looking for a good alternative to Either and Johnny Damon.

As far as pitching goes. Your starters are high risk high reward. Cain has never been consitent over a full season and Oswalt is struggling in the WBC right now and trying to make a comeback from last year. All 3 of your RP's could be setup men by May, so you might want to pick up at least 1 of their possible replacements or you could find yourself on the short end of Saves come the end of the season.

viewtopic.php?t=373163

I think i'll have a hard time getting full value for McLouth, i pick him up late, around 70th? It might be hard to get his full value. Any pitcher you think i should target with McLouth?

I'm using Johnny Damon as my DH and i think he has really good value there. He is just about the only DH that provides any SB. My league requires a DH slot in addition to a Util slot. Some others are interested and i might do a sell high on him if i can pick up a good pitcher.

As to my closers, My league includes Saves+Holds so I was targeting guys who even if they drop to a middle reliever they still have decent stuff to pick up K's, and then they'll be getting holds instead of saves. Either way, saves or holds count for the same thing in our league.
hobobot
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dmendro » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:52 am

McLouth in the 7th round? So you should be able to move him for a number 2, 3 or 4 starter pretty easy. To me McLouth projects as a .270, 10 Hr, 50 RBI, 80 runs, 20 sb guy. If you can reel in a 10 win, 150K, 4.00 ERA, 1.30 WHIP starter you are getting good value. That my opinion.

Ricky Nolasco, Josh Johnson usually fly under the raday. Maybe you can reach for a Ryan Dempster or Javy Vasquez, as they will be undervalued.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mortician » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:10 pm

go for a SP....you need a FEW more
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team