Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:50 pm

Having already drafted, you have a mess on your hands. The scoring seems badly flawed. You probably should tell the commish now, but if you do, various things can happen:
1) The commish says, "So?", in which case you did your duty and you count your cash. Also not likely to happen.
2) The commish says, "Oops. My bad." and adds IP to the league. At this point you have hosed yourself because you drafted thinking IP weren't there, and now they are. Reasonably likely.
3) The commish fixes it and you try to redraft. Messy this close to the season, but if you can pull it off, probably the best outcome.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:56 pm

hot4tx wrote:
so you noticed this before the draft and didnt say anything? that's kind a douche move


I disagree that not saying anything about what opportunities scoring opens to be a douche move in a pay league. Friends or no. If no one else in the entire league ran the scoring to see how it added up, or was smart enough to realize the potential strategy when they did run the scoring, its their fault. Its not like you're doing some weird strategy like streaming or something (which I'm not even saying that is morally wrong), you picked the best available players for your scoring and will start them. If they don't like it they only have themselves to blame and will have to work the waiver/trades to compete and change it next year. If they ask you for a redraft its your choice to allow it or not (and you'd be a very generous man to do so) but if they try to change scoring or force a redraft I'd be very upset if I were you.

Oh and pick up Villanueva to be a temp closer that can go in one of your SP spots!


so no questions asked...you just assume he set it up so SP's score negative points? what if the commish had made a typo and had SB worth 10 points and you notice it. do you just not say anything and go on and draft Reyes, Tavares and Michael Bourn with your first 3 picks and tell everyone else tought luck, live with it?
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby ukyo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:25 pm

I would say here are your options:

1. Post/email a message to the league explaining the unbalanced scoring and then suggesting adding IP as a category and a redraft. You can address the commissioner, but don't leave it just to the commissioner because this affects everybody in the league.
2. If the other people in the league are opposed to a redraft, then ask for your money back for this season.

If they are reasonable they will opt for the redraft because while the league will be no fun with the current scoring system, it is absolutely not fair to penalize you for taking the time to understand the ramifications of the scoring system.

You have no shot at all at winning it all unless you can overcome the imminent change in the scoring system. It will happen one way or another unless the league is disbanded.
ukyo
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 2
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby walkoffblast » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:25 pm

I think I would suggest keep this league running and then start another league with corrected settings. My guess is a lot of angry people shortly. Although the fact no one at all has noticed this yet makes me wonder if you are the one that made the mistake. Now that would be funny.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 518
Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:38 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
hot4tx wrote:
so you noticed this before the draft and didnt say anything? that's kind a douche move


I disagree that not saying anything about what opportunities scoring opens to be a douche move in a pay league. Friends or no. If no one else in the entire league ran the scoring to see how it added up, or was smart enough to realize the potential strategy when they did run the scoring, its their fault. Its not like you're doing some weird strategy like streaming or something (which I'm not even saying that is morally wrong), you picked the best available players for your scoring and will start them. If they don't like it they only have themselves to blame and will have to work the waiver/trades to compete and change it next year. If they ask you for a redraft its your choice to allow it or not (and you'd be a very generous man to do so) but if they try to change scoring or force a redraft I'd be very upset if I were you.

Oh and pick up Villanueva to be a temp closer that can go in one of your SP spots!


so no questions asked...you just assume he set it up so SP's score negative points? what if the commish had made a typo and had SB worth 10 points and you notice it. do you just not say anything and go on and draft Reyes, Tavares and Michael Bourn with your first 3 picks and tell everyone else tought luck, live with it?


I agree that by not alerting the commish he wasn't being very helpful. But then again neither is calling a random person a douche when they ask a question on a fantasy baseball board. :-t
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1933
(Past Year: 135)
Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby CadensDad » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 pm

If your "friends" with these people you need to let them know. If it's just random folks I wouldn't sweat it
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:29 pm

hot4tx wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
hot4tx wrote:
I disagree that not saying anything about what opportunities scoring opens to be a douche move in a pay league. Friends or no. If no one else in the entire league ran the scoring to see how it added up, or was smart enough to realize the potential strategy when they did run the scoring, its their fault. Its not like you're doing some weird strategy like streaming or something (which I'm not even saying that is morally wrong), you picked the best available players for your scoring and will start them. If they don't like it they only have themselves to blame and will have to work the waiver/trades to compete and change it next year. If they ask you for a redraft its your choice to allow it or not (and you'd be a very generous man to do so) but if they try to change scoring or force a redraft I'd be very upset if I were you.

Oh and pick up Villanueva to be a temp closer that can go in one of your SP spots!


so no questions asked...you just assume he set it up so SP's score negative points? what if the commish had made a typo and had SB worth 10 points and you notice it. do you just not say anything and go on and draft Reyes, Tavares and Michael Bourn with your first 3 picks and tell everyone else tought luck, live with it?


I agree that by not alerting the commish he wasn't being very helpful. But then again neither is calling a random person a douche when they ask a question on a fantasy baseball board. :-t


if it walks like a duck...
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
hot4tx wrote:
so you noticed this before the draft and didnt say anything? that's kind a douche move


I disagree that not saying anything about what opportunities scoring opens to be a douche move in a pay league. Friends or no. If no one else in the entire league ran the scoring to see how it added up, or was smart enough to realize the potential strategy when they did run the scoring, its their fault. Its not like you're doing some weird strategy like streaming or something (which I'm not even saying that is morally wrong), you picked the best available players for your scoring and will start them. If they don't like it they only have themselves to blame and will have to work the waiver/trades to compete and change it next year. If they ask you for a redraft its your choice to allow it or not (and you'd be a very generous man to do so) but if they try to change scoring or force a redraft I'd be very upset if I were you.

Oh and pick up Villanueva to be a temp closer that can go in one of your SP spots!


so no questions asked...you just assume he set it up so SP's score negative points? what if the commish had made a typo and had SB worth 10 points and you notice it. do you just not say anything and go on and draft Reyes, Tavares and Michael Bourn with your first 3 picks and tell everyone else tought luck, live with it?



I would say yes to your question. It's not his responsibility to inform the league on how to draft their teams based on the scoring. The commish sent out an email letting everyone know there were changes and to check the scoring. Obviously people did not do this. that's their problem not his. He's a douche because he did his homework? And the league will be no fun? Well to me winning is fun. Win the money, join another league to have your "Fun".

There is no way I would agree to let them just add IP. If anything they need to do a redraft. But I think it's entirely up to this guy. He holds the cards because he's the only one that followed the commish instructions and checked out the scoring settings. These guys are randoms from a message board. If I joined a league with 11 other guys from here and I didn't do my homework I wouldn't expect a redraft because I'm an idiot. I just can't believe the whole league is full of idiots. Not his fault.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 819
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Roy Halladay Bandwagon

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby cwrtlm » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:18 am

I figure after the 1st week they will figure it out, right now looking at the scoring projections I am supposed to score over 190 points for the week, while the next person's highest is 135. I figure they will want to change the scoring, but I am going to fight that to the bitter end. I thought scoring locked after the regular season started so I don't know if he can even change the scoring anyways. Again it is not like I really know any of these guys, so I really don't care to tick them off. I am in plenty of other leagues that are my "FUN" leagues with guys I know, so I am just in this league for the bounty!
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1032
Joined: 3 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:23 pm

Is there a minimum innings pitched floor? If so then it doesn't seem that big a deal to me.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11070
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 9 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact