Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Commish Goofed, should I tell him or try to win it all?

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 am

#1 rule of fantasy sports. Check your league scoring...

Scoring in that league is lame in my opinion but I dont think you have an obligation to say anything to anyone unless you'd like to see the scoring changed...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:23 am

the funny thing would be if he just added IP and you're the one that got the shaft. :-b

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:55 am

Snakes Gould wrote:the funny thing would be if he just added IP and you're the one that got the shaft. :-b

That wouldn't be funny, that'd be cheating.

In a money league, I really think there's an obligation for all the players to consider issues like this and be knowledgeable going into the draft. For example, I'm in a H2H money league this year, and there were no min IP in the league and a lot of rate categories. This meant you could just draft a few RPs (not even closers; SV wasn't a category!) and win 4 out of 5 categories. Since I didn't think that would make it a very fun league, I spoke to the commish and got the settings changed.

In your case, I'd guess that most of the rest of the people in the league will simply quit (probably before contributing their money to the pot), leaving you with nothing but an empty league. And people will probably resent you for being smart and competent and checking the stats beforehand but not being condescending enough to assume that they hadn't.

So I don't think it's immoral to not mention this to everyone. I just don't think it's particularly wise.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:13 am

im assuming this is a league of friends and not strangers and its a complete a-hole move to not let the commish or the rest of the league know before the draft.

why this question is posted after the draft is beyond me? why not post this before the draft?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cwrtlm » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:30 am

I did my calculations the day of the draft, I assumed the other members of the league were competent enough to do their own projections for the unique scoring. If they are paying $20 you would think they would put in a little time. No these guys are just a group that I joined last year via a fan board. I played last year with them, this year he changed the scoring and sent out an email warning to check the rules. He added a MInor league slot, you have the ability to start a minimum of 2 starters and play more postion players. Just wanted to get a handle on what should be done, so some are suggesting "Buyer Beware", while others think I should warn him and institute a re-draft. Any other thoughts?
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby WyldStallyn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:14 am

i dont see how you can be held at fault for this. the commish chose the settings and everyone approved. if no one else knows the best way to play with those settings, that is their problem. they are at fault for not catching the glitch.

maybe im biased because a similar situation happened to me. there was no IP limit set, so i loaded up on offense and closers and was constantly winning (h2h). halfway through the season the league decided to change the rules (effectively screwing me for playing to the settings). i was able to make some moves and still won the thing, but i found it rediculous for me to be punished for being competent.
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:14 pm

so you noticed this before the draft and didnt say anything? that's kind a douche move

I disagree that not saying anything about what opportunities scoring opens to be a douche move in a pay league. Friends or no. If no one else in the entire league ran the scoring to see how it added up, or was smart enough to realize the potential strategy when they did run the scoring, its their fault. Its not like you're doing some weird strategy like streaming or something (which I'm not even saying that is morally wrong), you picked the best available players for your scoring and will start them. If they don't like it they only have themselves to blame and will have to work the waiver/trades to compete and change it next year. If they ask you for a redraft its your choice to allow it or not (and you'd be a very generous man to do so) but if they try to change scoring or force a redraft I'd be very upset if I were you.

Oh and pick up Villanueva to be a temp closer that can go in one of your SP spots!
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:22 pm

How did the Commish draft?
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Polar Bear wrote:How did the Commish draft?

Good point. I think it would be a douche move to set up a scoring system intentionally with a hole in it like this that unbalances player scoring so disastrously in order to help yourself out. But just going with the scoring set up I see nothing wrong with. B-)
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby cwrtlm » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:45 pm

The Commish didn't draft according to the scoring, he just drafted best availible off of his list or another list not based upon the scoring rules.
Yeah I drafted Villanueva, Miguel Batista and Justin Masterson. All I think will end up in relief roles and could actually score some points. I am on the lookout for some other SP eligibles that will either close or be in relief. I am keeping an eye on Morrow, if he can't hack it in the rotation they might close with his stuff.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers