just drafted, #5 pick, suggestions? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

just drafted, #5 pick, suggestions?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

just drafted, #5 pick, suggestions?

Postby the izzy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:35 pm

10 team H2H league, 6x6

R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP :: IP, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

SB's are going to be my only problem. I'll try to move some players around to acquire some help there. My strategy was simple: "draft the highest player on my list". I have a lot of talent at the corners (ARod, Adrian G., Miguel, C.Davis) so moving them might be my best bet.

c: P. Sandoval
1b: A. Gonzales
2b: C. Utley
3b: M. Cabrera
ss: S. Drew
OF: M. Ramirez
OF: B. Abreu
OF: R. Ludwick
UTIL: D. Ortiz
Bench: A. Rodriquez (3B), C. Davis (1B/3B), N. Cruz (OF)

SP: F. Hernandez
SP: Y. Gallardo
RP: M. Gonzalez
RP: C. Qualls
P: J. Vazquez
P: E. Bedard
P: A. Harang
Bench: H. Bell (RP), Wang (SP), Carmona (SP), Smoltz

Note: ARod was a 5th rd pick. I had him pegged as a 7th rd pick, but gave in to temptation.

leave link for response...
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: just drafted, #5 pick, suggestions?

Postby shmity72 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:40 pm

i like your pitching staff i call it versatile. where you have a bunch of tier 2 pitchers so that you can 2 start them over playing a tier one pitcher every week, if you know what i mean..good batting. i don't know how you got miggy to be eligible for 3rd but that's pretty cool. if so, then wait for arod to heat up and put him on the block as he is a perenial september slumper.

please rate mine:

viewtopic.php?t=372852
matchups
shmity72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby the izzy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:05 pm

shmity72 wrote:i don't know how you got miggy to be eligible for 3rd but that's pretty cool.

yeah, yahoo has him still eligible. Pretty nice. There are two owners in my league w/ Votto and Youkilis as starting 1B, so I'm trying to shop Adrian to them right now.

Should I even try for SB now, or just give it up. The draft went so fast, I hardly noticed my lack of SB until it was too late.
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hpham45 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Some serious power with this team. If you covet steals, I'm sure CoCo Crisp, Carlos Gomez, or Michael Bourne is available. I would drop Smoltz for one of them if you need to. Starting pitching is hit or miss. If Felix and Gallardo play up to their potential, they will anchor your pitching.

I'd definitely wait for a Chris Davis hot streak and move him.
hpham45
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby the izzy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:16 pm

hpham45 wrote:I'm sure CoCo Crisp, Carlos Gomez, or Michael Bourne is available.

They all are ... good call. I'll probably wait for Smoltz to hit the DL and then pick up one of them up w/ the open roster spot.

Thanks.
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby schmidty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:20 pm

If your league-mates are open to trading (unfortunately, I've found that some leagues are trade-phobic) this could develop into a championship caliber team by seasons end. As long as you don't have any glaring holes, I'm fine with taking value. And SBs ... ehhh, with 6 hitting categories that's less of an issue.

You definately could stand to move a 3B. Maybe wait a little, until you're sure that Big Papi is going to produce like you hope in the Util spot. ARod won't have value until he comes back, so hold on to him. Hope for a good start from Miggy and/or Davis, and see what offers you can get. Either of them (assuming they play well) should provide a big boost to your pitching at little expense to your hitting. I'd prefer moving Davis, since Miggy is such a stud - no single pitcher is close to being worth what he is. In a few weeks, a healthy ARod (but make sure he's healthy and playing well) could allow you to do a similar upgrade. The pitching is serviceable for someone taking a "wait 'till later" - and with the moves you should be able to make it could become dominant. I like the "bounce-back" candidates you have (Gallardo, Bedard, Harang, Smoltz - though that one might take some patience).

Look at mine? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=372935
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Hit Factory » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Very nice job man, you have no real weak spots, possibly try and acquire another proven, solid starter. I like the combo of Gallardo and King Felix, but don't forget that they are both playing for mediocre teams and might not get that many wins. I would trade Arod (when he gets back and plays for awhile,) or Chris Davis for a top level starter. If you make that move you will be in great shape in your league!
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team