SP- Marshall
RP- Papelbon
RP- Capps

Reserves

Wieters
Price
C. Perez
J. Willingham

We start all the positions listed above so that is essentially my starting line-up. Are there any glaring holes that I need to fill right away? I am hoping on Price and Wieters joining the big clubs sooner than later, but can the guys I have now hold me over until I get some offensive boost when they do?

Thanks in advance for any help...will always help in return B-)
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 Man H2H...advice?

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:57 am

Grabbing Reyes and Pedroia early in H2H is just a little questionable to me. Not the end of the world, but I wouldn't have gone with the likes of Victorino and Span after spending early picks on those two. More power in those slots would have helped your team immensly.
Papelbon may look nice to have, but I think an Ace was needed much more. A rotation with Myers/Floyd/Marshall as my #3,4,5's does not impress. You would need career years out of at least 2 of them to be competitive.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby AmazinMeTS86 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:34 pm

:-?

Thanks for the look...

I really wasn't super excited after my draft but felt I did the best I could seeing what was available when I picked. I had picks lined up and got cut a few times towards the middle of my draft which really hurt. Especially when it came to my OF and tail end of my rotation.

OF is a big question mark. Mags, Victorino and Pence should be alright. I am really hoping from great things from Cruz and Span. I was one pick away Crawford or Upton who I feel would have solidified my outfield but was simply unable to get either one...oh well. I have found the likes of Carlos Quentin and Jay Bruce to name a few of the wire to help me so I am fairly confident I can make a move to help me later in the season.

I am pretty happy with Lackey and Wang as my #1 and #2 respectively. I have a feeling about Myers this year. Now that he is back into the rotation full time I am expecting 15+ wins and 200+ K's so as my #3 I am alright with him. Floyd quietly had an impressive season last year racking up 17 wins. As for Marshall...he was a last round gamble. Plus he has RP eligibility. My plan is to snare another SP of the wire and hope for Price to make it to the bigs sooner than later.

What I want to know is if anyone feels that I am way off in my thinking and feels I need to throw out an early SOS. Should I try and spin a Price and something else for a better SP? make a move for an OF?
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bosoxman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:48 pm

I like you balance on this team. You are good with speed and average. The piching can use a bit of work.
I actually like Victorino and think he is extremely underated (especially in h2h leagues). Had for 2 years
straight. Maybe you can work on trading Mags or someone for a better SP
bosoxman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby decatur squares » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:59 pm

my thought is over all you have decent team, but not great. I think you have a lot of risk upside players in a number of positions. As far as trading Price I would go ahead a do it to get another an upgrade at OF. Price will be limited this season will probably put up some good numbers but may end up moving in and out of the starting line up when he is moved up. Also, I think span is a little over rated at this point and may end up platooning in an already congested twins outfield. One last player I am not as high on as others are is Floyd. He was lucky to win the games he did. He has a low K rate and gives up a lot of fly balls. I expect his wins to go down to 10-12 this season. Those are my thoughts, take them for what they are worth, but I think those three maybe good sell high players.
decatur squares
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby schmidty » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Hey, I kind of agree with Dashiz23 on this one. Though it's not like Reyes in round 1 is a bad pick by any means. You just have to make up for with power hitters later in the draft. I do notice you have Longoria and Pedroia ... their ADPs have both of them going in round 2, so you got good value there. But you never did get that power bat. Right now, your best power guy is probably Longoria ... and he's never had a season of 30+ hrs. Too little HR and rbi production, along with too many guys that haven't proven themselves could spell overall trouble for your lineup.

Pitching isn't that great either. I like Lackey. Though Wang's lack of strikeouts never made him a fantasy favorite of mine. And Myers is just inconsistent. I'm a Phils fan, so I hope his second half resurgence is real. But it seems we've had a few years in a row of "this is the year Myers will break out" in the pre-season. And it hasn't happened. Floyd and Marshall are kind of "ehhh" for me. Price has electric stuff, but anything can happen with a rookie (including an innings shutdown when you need him the most). Closers are good though. You've got one of the best in Paps, a solid underrated guy (with a secure job) in Capps, and a speculation in Perez. With 12 teams, most teams won't have 3 closers. Just watch the Perez situation - he's hurt and may have lost his job to Motte. Though I think your team would've been better served passing on Paps (probably round 4), taking a quality power bat, and move down a tier or two taking a guy like Soria or Broxton as your first closer.

In response to your reply ... I wouldn't panic yet. Things may break right, and your team may be better than some think. Hit the waiver wire. That's crazy that Carlos Quentin and Jay Bruce weren't picked. You should be all over them. Especially Quentin ... he has an ADP around 30. How the #$%^%^&#$ could everyone in your league passed on him? :-S Drop Willingham and pick him up ... NOW!!! I'm not sure of the best drop, but Bruce should be owned too (ADP ~90). He's way ahead of guys in your starting lineup like Span and Cruz on practically every ranking I've seen. If those guys are there, others are probably there too (for pitching, too). Check the rankings by the good folks here at the Cafe. If you see a guy high in those rankings, while you have a guy low at the same position starting on your team ... make a move! I bet you can shape this team up in no time. And keep an eye on drops during the season. This feels like the kind of league with players that'll drop a star because of a bad first month. Championships are built when the smart managers don't confuse short-term trends versus long-term trends (or at least know the guys that are worth a gamble on).

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=372935
Last edited by schmidty on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Seems great for Roto, meh for H2H. You need more category dominance. You're too spread out. Trade Reyes for a first round masher, or a few mashers.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=372482
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AmazinMeTS86 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:25 pm

schmidty wrote: That's crazy that Carlos Quentin and Jay Bruce weren't picked. You should be all over them. Especially Quentin ... he has an ADP around 30. How the #$%^%^&#$ could everyone in your league passed on him? :-S Drop Willingham and pick him up ... NOW!!!

Thanks for the look...I appreciate it.

As far as Quentin and Bruce go, I said that I was able to land them last year via the waiver wire :-)

I'll surely be working the waiver wire this season. We add two more slots this Wednesday so I hope I catch some information (which I usually do) cruising the cafe.
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team