Chris Carpenter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chris Carpenter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Carpenter

Postby lbblue » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:08 am

My Cardinals' fan buddy keeps reporting good things about Carpenter. What is the latest thought on him? Expect a solid bounce back or expect struggle/injury re-aggravation? Where is he going in drafts now?
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chris Carpenter

Postby killertofu2222 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:41 am

Chris Carpenter...Cy Young 09!

i have him in 2/3 money leagues...love the guy. i think if he stays healthy this year he can be solid. maybe not his old stuff but then again, im not paying for his old stuff so im happy :-)

he's having a great spring too

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby Terrordome666 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00 am

I got him at pick 159 - round 14 in my league. I probably could have waited a couple more rounds, but why take the chance?
Terrordome666
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lbblue » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:30 pm

Terrordome666 wrote:I got him at pick 159 - round 14 in my league. I probably could have waited a couple more rounds, but why take the chance?

That's the way I'm looking at it. I think I might take a chance on him at least that early. Worth the risk, IMO. Could easily outperform his status and if he goes down with injury again I'm confident I'll get enough solid pitchers at value to where it wouldn't hurt me too much.
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby McStallen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 am

i'm going to try and draft carpenter, but 14 is too early- it's ironic you say "why take the chance" -from my perspective, you are taking a huge chance in round 14 on a guy like that when you can land paul maholm, scott baker, clayton kershaw, josh johnson or someone like that- just wait until about round 18-20 before you take a chance on carpenter.

this is why people don't draft mark prior any more and why rich harden slips 6-8 rounds in some drafts- injuries are huge problems for pitchers and you don't want to pay too much to acquire one
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:47 am

I don't think he is CY worthy anymore, but I expect similar numbers to Adam Wainwright
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby the izzy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:26 am

I'm pretty big on this guy as well (based on draft position). I've taken him twice in rds 20+ in 2 out of 3 of my leagues.

The only league I didn't take him was because another owner took him in the 3rd rd! (non-keeper, 10 team, redraft league).
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 am

McStallen wrote:i'm going to try and draft carpenter, but 14 is too early- it's ironic you say "why take the chance" -from my perspective, you are taking a huge chance in round 14 on a guy like that when you can land paul maholm, scott baker, clayton kershaw, josh johnson or someone like that- just wait until about round 18-20 before you take a chance on carpenter.

;-D ;-D
I agree except the Paul Maholm part. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby TheBambino » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:54 am

I jumped on him in the 17th round and other guys (who hadnt been monitoring him) said I could get him on waivers! I think hes golden for a 17th rounder! Hes in midseason form already... Ks are down but command is great! Get him late if you can!

Please help me with mine
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=373170#p2993732
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sho Nuff » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Locked him up with a special keeper spot we have in our league.
If you drafted a guy in the 20th-24th round last year and had him on your roster all year, you can keep one guy from those slots for one year and only give up that slot.
I took Carp in the 20th last year and kepth him this year giving up my 20th round pick.
Last year I got to keep Granderson with a 22nd round pick from the previous draft.

Probably about at his value, got him at a better value than I thought though with the crew I draft with. Mainly just wanted to have a decent back of my rotation guy locked up with a late pick and not worry about it as much the rest of the draft. Especially since my other 3 keepers were hitters.
Sho Nuff
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates