Non-"standard" league, how'd I do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Non-"standard" league, how'd I do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Non-"standard" league, how'd I do?

Postby Texas Flats » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:13 pm

A couple of extra positions, which wasn't too much, but instead of the standard 5x5 I usually play, but it's a 7x7 league (H, AVG, HR, BB, R, RBI, SB, W, L, QS, K, SV, ERA, WHIP), which is something I'm not used to. I tried to adjust my strategy slightly, especially on the pitching end. Since quality starts and losses are categories, I ended up taking some starting pitchers earlier than I normally would, and because saves are only one of 14 categories, and the only one we get any real help with from closers, I waited until longer than usual to even think about taking any (and I still think I may have gone a little bit longer.) Here's my roster, I get the 10th pick out of a 10 team league,round and overall pick # in parentheses:
C - Victor Martinez (11, 110)
1B - Joey Votto (8, 71)
2B - Chase Utley (1, 10)
3B - Chris Davis (6, 51)
SS - JJ Hardy (13, 130)
LF - Josh Hamilton (2, 11)
CF - BJ Upton (3, 30)
RF - Magglio Ordonez (5, 50)
OF - Carlos Quentin (7, 70)
OF - Jay Bruce (10, 91)
UTIL - Carlos Gomez (17, 170)
UTIL - Edwin Encarnacion (20, 191)
B - Elvis Andrus (23, 230)
B - Jeff Clement (24, 231)
B - Elijah Dukes (25, 250)

SP - Brandon Webb (4, 40)
SP - Jon Lester (9, 90)
SP - Adam Wainwright (12, 111)
SP - Rickey Nolasco (14, 131)
RP - Heath Bell (16, 151)
RP - Matt Lindstrom (19, 190)
P - Josh Johnson (15, 150)
P - Gil Meche (18, 171)
B - Chad Qualls (21, 210)
B - Jordan Zimmermann (22, 211)
B - Manny Parra (26, 251)

I took some guys earlier than maybe I should have (Bruce, Votto, Quentin, Ordonez maybe?) and I have a real glut of outfielders, but I tihnk my starting infield is pretty strong. I may not have a real backup first baseman, but Davis qualifies there now, and Martinez and Clement may by the end of the season. If I do need to make a trade, I feel my outfield is plenty strong enough to take that kind of hit.

At the end of the draft, when everyone else was starting to grab backup guys like Mark Ellis and Hank Blalock, I figured instead of getting a guy I'd end up having to drop anyway, I mgiht as well take some really high reward guys, since I'm really not losing on anything. That's why I grabbed Clement, along with Andrus (some additional speed off the bench I hope), Zimmermann (even if he doesn't get called up until May, I have the room on the bench for him, and he's looking quite a bit like the ROY candidate everyone keeps calling him), and Dukes (I didn't need another OF at all, but the upside was too much for me to pass up).

I'm a little weak on stolen bases, which is a big reason I ended up taking Carlos Gomez there, and it might've been a round or two early but at that point, my only real stolen base threat was Upton, and I needed something else there.

How'd I do on this draft? Anything you would do to tinker with this, and what do you think I should work on to improve it?
Texas Flats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Non-"standard" league, how'd I do?

Postby Padres Fan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:18 pm

Overall looks good except your Relievers, and I dont figure on too high of a BA

Comment on mine, please?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=372721
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager