deep leagues: upside guys who unexpectedly make their team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

deep leagues: upside guys who unexpectedly make their team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: deep leagues: upside guys who unexpectedly make their team

Postby Montana168 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:12 pm

anyone know josh anderson's value in detriot. is he basically the 4th OF there? any chance guillen moves back into the infield and anderson starts in left? anderson does not project to have much more than 5 HR power, but he is a year (or two, don't remember the year) from stealing 70+ bases and only being caught 12-13 times. that is some very good speed and you have to believe that he will play somewhere or is he only going to be used as a pinch-runner for now?
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:23 pm

if he gets 150AB without anyone getting hurt, i'll be surprised. i own him in a really deep league, so i'm bummed.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Anderson becomes Granderson's backup pretty much.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MTUCache » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:25 pm

I wouldn't even count on that really... Santiago saw some pretty decent time last year backing up Granderson (well, Inge did too, but most of this hinges on Inge not being in the lineup).

Thames/Sheffield are the cemented 4thOF/DH combo right now, and for good reason.

Also, both Raburn and Clevlen (and even Clete Thomas really) were impressive in spurts last year and can play a decent CF. Even if it didn't make a splash here it was enough to leave an impression on Leyland, who is loyal to a fault. I can't believe that Dombrowski/Leyland wouldn't make a move for Anderson without having some kind of plan for him... I just can't quite figure out what that plan is yet. :-[

For right now the only things I'm seeing him for is a spot-starter against RHP and a late-inning defensive-replacement and/or a speedy pinch runner.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MTUCache » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:33 pm

Speaking of Tigers.... how about Porcello as a late-round flier?

Obviously anything out of camp about how filthy his stuff is is probably just inflated Spring-talk... but with the lackluster STs of Willis/Robertson/Miner, that fifth spot in the rotation is looking more and more a fit.

I don't think that they'll rush him along like that, but you never know. He's a ray of hope in an otherwise bleak system. Detroit fans won't be the most patient bunch if the pitching staff stumbles out of the gate.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:55 am

MTUCache wrote:I wouldn't even count on that really... Santiago saw some pretty decent time last year backing up Granderson (well, Inge did too, but most of this hinges on Inge not being in the lineup).

Thames/Sheffield are the cemented 4thOF/DH combo right now, and for good reason.

Also, both Raburn and Clevlen (and even Clete Thomas really) were impressive in spurts last year and can play a decent CF. Even if it didn't make a splash here it was enough to leave an impression on Leyland, who is loyal to a fault. I can't believe that Dombrowski/Leyland wouldn't make a move for Anderson without having some kind of plan for him... I just can't quite figure out what that plan is yet. :-[

For right now the only things I'm seeing him for is a spot-starter against RHP and a late-inning defensive-replacement and/or a speedy pinch runner.

From what i read he will make the team, but i wouldnt expect much (backup to Granderson and late inning Pinch Runner/Defensive Replacement). Also, from what i have read Inge and Santiago will not play CF. FWIW they tried trading Rayburn to the Mets but it fell through. Clete Thomas isnt ready (i dont think he is yet) and Clevlen...well, not so good

so...backups will be Santiago, Anderson, Mr. Misty May and either Thames/Larish. i'd say there's about a 50% chance Thames gets dealt or cut (they can save some $$$ by doing so)...otherwise he makes the team over Larish

MTUCache wrote:Speaking of Tigers.... how about Porcello as a late-round flier?

Obviously anything out of camp about how filthy his stuff is is probably just inflated Spring-talk... but with the lackluster STs of Willis/Robertson/Miner, that fifth spot in the rotation is looking more and more a fit.

I don't think that they'll rush him along like that, but you never know. He's a ray of hope in an otherwise bleak system. Detroit fans won't be the most patient bunch if the pitching staff stumbles out of the gate.

even with Willis going to the DL and Bondo likely to go on the DL as well i just dont think they bring him up yet. as long as Robertsons thumb is OK i think the 4th and 5th spot go to Robertson and Miner (barring a trade)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby neoforce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 am

MTUCache wrote:I wouldn't even count on that really... Santiago saw some pretty decent time last year backing up Granderson (well, Inge did too, but most of this hinges on Inge not being in the lineup).

MTUCache: Does Sheffields release change your thought about Anderson's role in Detroit? I still wouldn't count on much from him, but maybe a bit more with Shef gone. Seems as if they got Anderson in expectation of releasing Shef.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:33 am

neoforce wrote:

MTUCache: Does Sheffields release change your thought about Anderson's role in Detroit? I still wouldn't count on much from him, but maybe a bit more with Shef gone. Seems as if they got Anderson in expectation of releasing Shef.

i think they will end up DHing Guillen and platooning Thames/Anderson/Larish in LF
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:47 pm

I think it makes a big difference for Anderson. I still don't see a great value, probably not even for 16 team mixed leagues, but for deep leagues, it looks like he'll regain 3/4 of the value he had before the trade. I could see MAYBE 300 AB if he can keep his avg/obp near .275/.325 or better. Guillen won't play 160 games, and Thames isn't exactly a stud. Detroit obviously likes Anderson enough to give him a shot, or they wouldn't have acquired him.

It is even possible that he'll be in essence Brandon Inge's backup, as I'd guess they'd be willing to shift Guillen back to 3rd and stick Anderson in the OF.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:09 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:I think it makes a big difference for Anderson. I still don't see a great value, probably not even for 16 team mixed leagues, but for deep leagues, it looks like he'll regain 3/4 of the value he had before the trade. I could see MAYBE 300 AB if he can keep his avg/obp near .275/.325 or better. Guillen won't play 160 games, and Thames isn't exactly a stud. Detroit obviously likes Anderson enough to give him a shot, or they wouldn't have acquired him.

It is even possible that he'll be in essence Brandon Inge's backup, as I'd guess they'd be willing to shift Guillen back to 3rd and stick Anderson in the OF.

Larish will be the backup CI...or Santiago can play some 3B
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers