deep leagues: upside guys who unexpectedly make their team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

deep leagues: upside guys who unexpectedly make their team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: deep leagues: upside guys who unexpectedly make their team

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:27 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:schafer's been hot but if they can't trade josh anderson, they have to keep anderson since he's out of options.

Anderson's filler IMO, even if he starts at the beginning of the year, he's not a long-term option. I would guess that unless Schafer gets sent down and completely falls on his face in AAA, that he'd still be up part of the way through the year.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:29 am

definetly, he'll be back up in no time, but chances are anderson will start the season with the club.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Padres Fan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:46 am

Okay then I say Jason Motte, he has ben lights out, and if not for Chris Perez's injury, andRyan Franklin doing nothing, he would've started out in AAA
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:19 pm

eliminate josh anderson. he got traded to detroit, where he will basically be the 5th OF. sucks for me.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:25 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:eliminate josh anderson. he got traded to detroit, where he will basically be the 5th OF. sucks for me.
Looks like Schafer isthe guy. could be a decent sleeper in deeper leagues, moreso in NL-only leagues where having bench players who actually play is important. 15/15 with a.270 or so avg is probably the best he'll do this year, but with the way he's hit in ST who knows?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby B-Chad » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:42 pm

Sergio Romo- I am a Giants fan, and not completely sold on "All-Star" Brian Wilson. I don't know if Romo would be next in line, but he had a fantastic K-rate last year, top notch WHIP and ERA contributions even if it came in about 30 IP. Sure, the Giants signed Bobby Howry and Jeremy Afeldt, but I think Romo could be a sleeper if Wilson struggles.

Henry Owens- He's obviously suspended and won't be back until All-Star break time at the earliest, but given Matt Lindstrom injury concerns, and Leo Nunez having no closing experience, could be a sneaky saves vulture in the second half.

Kyle Blanks- I read on a Yahoo blurb in Blanks' player card that he fielded some fly balls. The SD brass shot down the idea of him playing OF, but lets be honest, if they don't deal him, Adrian Gonzalez is in front of him and going nowhere, the OF would make some sense. He raked last year in AA and crushed the ball in the Spring, could be HUGE if he gets a chance to play in the SD OF. Check to see what position he plays in AAA, could see a Steven Pearce like situation.

Mat Gamel- He wont' start the season in the bigs, but given that I'm not buying Hall as being more then a quality utility player who plays against lefties, maybe he gets a look, and maybe he steps in and starts raking. Who knows.

Homer Bailey- Micah Owings had a fantastic Spring, which means Bailey is unlikely to open in the rotation. That said, there is a chance that Bailey will be opening in the bullpen at the big league level, and with SP eligibility, maybe that'll be helpful for some. I'd also add that maybe the bullpen stint helps him realize his potential. I'm not a huge Bailey guy, but maybe this is an embarassment to him and lights a fire under him, certainly worth a gamble I think.

Mike Fontenot- He's certainly gaining steam as a sleeper, but I think his upside is vastly being underrated. He crushes righties, and if he is able to even hit mediocre against lefties, he should post solid counting stats and power numbers from 2B.

Max Ramirez- He's starting the season in AAA, I know, consider me a sucker that either he or Teagarden/Salty will get dealt. It's hard not to notice how bad the Rangers pitching is, and I find it hard to believe that they won't eventually deal one of the catchers for a starter, if it's Max Ramirez, he istantly becomes a note worthy catching option.

Nomar Garciaparra- Starting out as a utility infielder, but I'm not sold Chavez can stay healthy (yet somehow I'm sold Nomar can, ha :-b ). With his SS eligibility in Yahoo! leagues, I think he's worth keeping an eye on.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:45 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:eliminate josh anderson. he got traded to detroit, where he will basically be the 5th OF. sucks for me.
Looks like Schafer isthe guy. could be a decent sleeper in deeper leagues, moreso in NL-only leagues where having bench players who actually play is important. 15/15 with a.270 or so avg is probably the best he'll do this year, but with the way he's hit in ST who knows?

well, i think .260 is about the max average you can expect, and .245 or .250 is more of what to expect. he can't hit lefties at all. he only hit .269 last year in AA (although he hit well in 2007 in A ball - terrible avg in 06 and 05). he could go 15/15 though if he gets 500+ AB.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby neoforce » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:09 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:

well, i think .260 is about the max average you can expect, and .245 or .250 is more of what to expect. he can't hit lefties at all. he only hit .269 last year in AA (although he hit well in 2007 in A ball - terrible avg in 06 and 05). he could go 15/15 though if he gets 500+ AB.

Remember he missed a bunch of time in AA due to his 50 game ban, that might have impacted him. In an OBP league, he looks pretty good:

2007, A/A+ .312 ave, .374 OBP
2008, AA, .269 ave, .378 OBP

So, his OBP went up slightly even though his average went down. He isn't the next Ryan Braun, but if he makes the team, he fits the category of this thread. Possible value for a deep league.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby neoforce » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:43 pm

not a done deal yet for Schafer. From Rotoworld:

Jordan Schafer-OF- Braves Mar. 30 - 5:26 pm et

Braves GM Frank Wren wasn't ready to name a starting center fielder following the trade of Josh Anderson to the Tigers.
"The center-field job is still open," Atlanta general manager Frank Wren said. "It will be hard to keep two. We knew we couldn’t keep all three." While Jordan Schafer is certainly the exciting fantasy prospect, it's not his job just yet. The Braves will likely give bench spots to Matt Diaz, Omar Infante, Martin Prado, Greg Norton and David Ross, leaving room for just one center fielder. It's still possible that Gregor Blanco will get the nod, with Schafer heading to Triple-A.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:02 pm

neoforce wrote:not a done deal yet for Schafer. From Rotoworld:

Jordan Schafer-OF- Braves Mar. 30 - 5:26 pm et

Braves GM Frank Wren wasn't ready to name a starting center fielder following the trade of Josh Anderson to the Tigers.
"The center-field job is still open," Atlanta general manager Frank Wren said. "It will be hard to keep two. We knew we couldn’t keep all three." While Jordan Schafer is certainly the exciting fantasy prospect, it's not his job just yet. The Braves will likely give bench spots to Matt Diaz, Omar Infante, Martin Prado, Greg Norton and David Ross, leaving room for just one center fielder. It's still possible that Gregor Blanco will get the nod, with Schafer heading to Triple-A.

Schafer shouldn't play anyway he is a cheater
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers