deep leagues: upside guys who unexpectedly make their team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

deep leagues: upside guys who unexpectedly make their team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: deep leagues: upside guys who unexpectedly make their team

Postby Holein1 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:29 am

he might not come up till may/june but gordon beckham is killing the ball for the cws. The best of all he is a SS/2b which does not have much depth.

Keep an eye on him.
Holein1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:39 am

It appears that Adam Rosales will make the Reds over Jeff Keppinger, if that's true Rosales could end up getting some time at SS if/when Alex Gonzalez gets hurt/sucks.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009 ... 10415/1071
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Michael Cuddyer could bounce back to '07 levels now that he is healthy. There is a PT issue for all 5 MN OF/DH.
Ryan Sweeney should put up a 10/10 line but only start him against RHP
Travis Buck could have a nice season if he gets off to a good start. Beware that if he gets off to a slow start Cunningham or Barton could get a shot and deserve watching in deeper leagues.
Jordan Schafer should be up before AS break
Brett Cecil should get a chance at some point to start
Alberto Callaspo at 2B in KC, no power but decent avg, SB's, and runs
kendry morales has had a good spring and will be given some time to keep the 1B spot
Gaby Sanchez might be starting at 1B in FLA (likewise McPherson could be the starter at 3B instead)
Aardsma might move into the closer role in Seattle
Ivan rodriguez and John Baker are likely starters at C

Just a few guys that should be going in the $1-2 range in 20 team auctions or in FA
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby WTH » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:55 pm

Carlos Rosa, if he ever gets the chance to start.
WTH
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby B-Chad » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm keeping an eye on Ryan Shealy as he's out of options, and I don't personally care for Mike Jacobs.

On a similar note, I like Kila Ka'aihue still, even though he didn't do much in the spring (or have many ab's for that matter).

Kelvim Escobar might actually be healthy, he's throwing all of his pitches.

Jason Schmidt missed all of last year, and even though McDonald is getting all of the love, Schmidt has had some super fantasy seasons in the past (though I don't expect him to replicate those).

Russ Branyan may be a full time starting 1B for the Mariners, and though you'll have to swallow a bad batting average and a ton of K's, he can pound the ball and with 500+ AB's should eclipse 30 HR's.

Speculation here, but Nolan Reimold is absolutely pounding the ball in the spring, I don't expect him to make the O's out of ST since it would be senseless to start his arb clock, but if he continues to rake in the high minors this year, he may force their hand (though with Markakis in Jones in place, that leaves 1 spot for him to fight everyone else for).

I definitely like Andy LaRoche as a post hype sleeper, even though he struggled mightily last year, he maintained his BB:K.

Bartolo Colon, I can't believe I'm mentioning him, but given he has been good in the past and he'll probably make the White Sox starting 5, might be worth a look in the deepest of leagues.

Jason Lane? I don't put a lot of faith in him, but if Wells injuries linger, he has mashed in the Spring, perhaps he gets some AB's and chips in a handful of HR's. Real stab in the dark there.

Brandon Wood is a guy I'll be looking at even in some standard leagues. If he is able to maintain a tolerable contact rate, his power is for real. Given Figgins and Kendrick can't stay healthy, the odds are good one goes down, which means 3B is open for Wood, and given that Aybar and Izturis aren't great SS options, it's always possible he starts at SS eventually. Lot of debate on him on this board, but as a flyer, definitely has real power potential.

Jesus Guzman is definitely a good suggestion since he's raked in the winter and the spring and pounded the ball last year in the high minors. Considering the Giants will be looking for offense anywhere they can find it, I suspect he'll see some at bats. Also given I read his most comfortable position is 2B (sorry I don't have it linked, but there is a link on the Giants home page), maybe he gets a look there if everyone falls on there face and the Giants scramble for offense (any thoughts on that Giantsfan?). Just a stab in the dark, as a Giants fan, I wouldn't be opposed to looking there, since their real 2B of the future will likely be opening in AA, might as well mix and mesh.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Peeig » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Tommy Hanson, won't start in the majors, but should be up at somepoint and has been dominant in spring training.
See more dumb thoughts that I have at http://mrdeliciousgambling.blogspot.com/
Peeig
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j24jags » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:40 pm

There hasn't been much talk of Elvis Andrus, but he has 30+ SB potential and could potentially put up a decent BA. He's pretty much guranteed a starting gig too.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:02 am

j24jags wrote:There hasn't been much talk of Elvis Andrus, but he has 30+ SB potential and could potentially put up a decent BA. He's pretty much guranteed a starting gig too.

Say it a few more times, and you'll feel good about taking him in the 19th round. :-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:04 am

If you are in a daily league I'd take a flier on Bill Hall. He had lasik eye surgery and he is healthy which he hasn't been the last couple of years so he could have a decent year. Even if he doesn't have a decent year he has always mashed lefties with a career line of .278/.355/.493/.847 vs lefties.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:19 am

Ender wrote:If you are in a daily league I'd take a flier on Bill Hall. He had lasik eye surgery and he is healthy which he hasn't been the last couple of years so he could have a decent year. Even if he doesn't have a decent year he has always mashed lefties with a career line of .278/.355/.493/.847 vs lefties.

Decent pick but don't overrate LASIK and he's only been healthy for one week (don't jump the gun on that).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers