Daily vs Weekly Lineups/Transactions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Daily vs Weekly Lineups/Transactions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Daily vs Weekly Lineups/Transactions

Postby bigmck » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Peeig wrote:I was wondering if most of you do daily or weekly lineups/transactions.............the reason i ask, is because I have done all of my leagues with daily lineup changs and transactions, but I am wondering if having a league or two with weekly transactions would be good to add more leagues, but decrease the related time per league.

With weekly changes if a player goes on the DL with six days left in the week, you lose alot of stats. That is why I don't like it. If you have the option to do daily, use that.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OldDirtyBatter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 am

Making the league weekly attracted a few casual players who did not mind putting up the $$$$. To them it was no more time intensive than football. I lost 1 serious player and gained 3 casual players.

The weekly format is more agreeable to people whose primary involvement in Fantasy games has been through Football.

I enjoy the daily format, but I enjoy a bigger prize pool more :-D

ODB
OldDirtyBatter
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:48 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Peeig wrote:Haha, that's probably true. I was also thinking that with the type of money that is changing hands, they probably want to allow working professionals who can afford the league, the time to join/manage their teams.

Thanks for the response

My core league is weekly. Its a hardcore league H2H Points league with a decent prize pool, and most folks are on the page daily, but since most of us have jobs where we are either traveling or dont have net access all day (and a number of folks have little ones at home) we found it much more pleasant without daily moves.

It also has some added benefits
1. There is no advantage to racing to the comp after someone gets hurt. The few guys who can sit and surf the net all day arent at any great advantage.

2. Streaming is virtually impossible. Obviously the occasional two-start trash gets picked up and played, but there is no real advantage.

3. No need for Games/IP limits. You start whoever you want each week, if you happen to get 165 3B games who cares, you played it fair, no one cramming in extra starts each week

4. More people are active/less likely to drop out. When there is a need for daily adjustments you usually see more people dropping out when they are out of it. With weekly rosters it only requires a couple hours (at most) a week to stay competetive, and folks tend to be willing to stay active even after falling out of contention.

QFT
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby happyturtle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:45 pm

I play both but prefer weekly. Weekly is just a different kind of strategy than daily. Your goal is to set up a lineup that will have the best matchuos for the week and most importantly play the most games. So 2-start pitchers are huge. I think there is alot more strategy involved in picking the right guys, whereas daily you just throw in everyone you have everyday.

For me, daily change leagues are way too easy to manipulate. You can stream, bench your pitchers if you're way ahead, etc.

There are ways to equalize this but then you are dealing with all rate stats or limits on adds/drops, starts, innings etc and for me you are making all sorts of changes just to make daily leagues viable. I hate using stats like SLG and k/9, it takes the fun out of it.

The ONLY drawback of weekly leagues is it does stink when your guy goes on the DL on monday or tuesday, but it's just part of the luck of the game.
happyturtle Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby theplayer11 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:08 pm

daily, not even close, lot more managing, using the bench. Why have a bench if you can't take advantage of match ups?
theplayer11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:57 pm

theplayer11 wrote:daily, not even close, lot more managing, using the bench. Why have a bench if you can't take advantage of match ups?

You do take advantage of match-ups in a weekly league, you just do it over a different time scale. I feel like, if anything, there is a little more thought that has to go into a line-up when you have a weekly league. You're not just plugging guys in for days off, tough match-ups, etc. You actually have to plan the whole week's worth of match-ups out.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner