Daily vs Weekly Lineups/Transactions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Daily vs Weekly Lineups/Transactions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daily vs Weekly Lineups/Transactions

Postby Peeig » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:30 am

I was wondering if most of you do daily or weekly lineups/transactions.............the reason i ask, is because I have done all of my leagues with daily lineup changs and transactions, but I am wondering if having a league or two with weekly transactions would be good to add more leagues, but decrease the related time per league.
See more dumb thoughts that I have at http://mrdeliciousgambling.blogspot.com/
Peeig
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daily vs Weekly Lineups/Transactions

Postby Peeig » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:42 am

bump, anyone do weekly lineup changes?
Peeig
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:53 am

i tried a non-serious league with weekly lineups. it just means that you don't care about that league.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:09 am

The Cafeholics ladder league is weekly with no bench. It's my only one. I definitely prefer daily changes but it's not a bad style as a change of pace because it presents some different challenges. Unfortunately, when your team is going well it can be very boring.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Peeig » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:16 am

I like these responses, I was thinking it might be good to add these as my last few leagues (I already have 5 leagues that I am in).

Mattias, regarding your comment, why do they run the NFBC like this then?
Peeig
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:26 am

You'd have to ask them.

My guess is that historically, leagues had weekly moves because they didn't have websites managing their teams but had to manage the teams with pencil, paper, a calculator, and a fax machine.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Peeig » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 am

Haha, that's probably true. I was also thinking that with the type of money that is changing hands, they probably want to allow working professionals who can afford the league, the time to join/manage their teams.

Thanks for the response
Peeig
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:29 am

I like daily only because I am a stat nerd whose like to set my team up depending on match-ups

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=372721

Also I think every sequel to a movie (part 2 only) should be titled :Electric Bugaloo, i.e Die Hard 2: Electric Bugaloo, Titanic 2 :Electric Bugaloo
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Peeig wrote:Haha, that's probably true. I was also thinking that with the type of money that is changing hands, they probably want to allow working professionals who can afford the league, the time to join/manage their teams.

Thanks for the response

My core league is weekly. Its a hardcore league H2H Points league with a decent prize pool, and most folks are on the page daily, but since most of us have jobs where we are either traveling or dont have net access all day (and a number of folks have little ones at home) we found it much more pleasant without daily moves.

It also has some added benefits
1. There is no advantage to racing to the comp after someone gets hurt. The few guys who can sit and surf the net all day arent at any great advantage.

2. Streaming is virtually impossible. Obviously the occasional two-start trash gets picked up and played, but there is no real advantage.

3. No need for Games/IP limits. You start whoever you want each week, if you happen to get 165 3B games who cares, you played it fair, no one cramming in extra starts each week

4. More people are active/less likely to drop out. When there is a need for daily adjustments you usually see more people dropping out when they are out of it. With weekly rosters it only requires a couple hours (at most) a week to stay competetive, and folks tend to be willing to stay active even after falling out of contention.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Peeig wrote:Haha, that's probably true. I was also thinking that with the type of money that is changing hands, they probably want to allow working professionals who can afford the league, the time to join/manage their teams.

Thanks for the response

My core league is weekly. Its a hardcore league H2H Points league with a decent prize pool, and most folks are on the page daily, but since most of us have jobs where we are either traveling or dont have net access all day (and a number of folks have little ones at home) we found it much more pleasant without daily moves.

It also has some added benefits
1. There is no advantage to racing to the comp after someone gets hurt. The few guys who can sit and surf the net all day arent at any great advantage.

2. Streaming is virtually impossible. Obviously the occasional two-start trash gets picked up and played, but there is no real advantage.

3. No need for Games/IP limits. You start whoever you want each week, if you happen to get 165 3B games who cares, you played it fair, no one cramming in extra starts each week

4. More people are active/less likely to drop out. When there is a need for daily adjustments you usually see more people dropping out when they are out of it. With weekly rosters it only requires a couple hours (at most) a week to stay competetive, and folks tend to be willing to stay active even after falling out of contention.

My main leagues are all weekly and I'm completely on board with all these reasons. If you have a league with a bench, there are plenty of tactical decisions that need to be made when setting your line-up.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner