Are Steroids Unethical? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Are Steroids Unethical?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Are Steroids Unethical?

Postby great gretzky » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:23 am

Amazinz wrote:Wasn't it Plato/Socrates who went as far as to say (in so many words) that even Civil Disobedience was unethical, that he had an unbreakable obligation to Athens' law?

We have an ethical responsibility to society and an aspect of that responsibility is upholding the law because the law in general serves the greater good. Breaking the law is in and of itself unethical.

Plato said that, but it was based on being both consistent and because he tacitly consented to the rule of law. Of course, subsequently that has been toned down, and applied to today, you can certainly argue that most people have tacitly agreed to no such law. Considering the electoral college, and considering that we aren't a straight democracy, well, you can fill in the blanks. And I'll add that I wasn't talking about Civil Disobedience in regards to Plato and others, but the general idea of morality juxtaposed to law.

Ok this is pointless, as its not "hippy" logic. as your status indicates You are obviously either uneducated on the issue or undercooked, because ethics and law are distinct by definition. Your logic is as circular as it gets. The law doesn't unequivocally service the "greater good" and to claim so is borderline stupid. It's designed in theory to do so, but in reality it serves the greater good, but also serves interests that are unethical. Obviously separate but equal laws served no "greater good" than reinforcing the position of the privileged.

When the sitting president chuckles and says he "inhaled too" when asked about pot, I think it is more than clear if the person applying for the job of enforcing the law as head of the Executive Branch thinks its a silly question, then the rest of us can view it through the prism of legality as opposed to morality. Otherwise, the past three presidents should have declined to run, as all have done illegal drugs.

So in your opinion, should every contract be honored, even if they are unfair or misleading? Or is word bond? Because through the law means exist to get out of such arraignments, but sometimes just because you can legally get out of something doesn't mean you should.

Is exploiting tax loopholes not unethical because technically they are legal? Using shelters and loopholes certainly violates the spirit and point of the tax code. Is it fair that some corporations pay taxes similar to that of wealthy individuals, when they should be paying more, but don't technically have to because they gamed the system? It's certainly unethical in these instances not to pay what your intended fair share was/is. you see, the two issues are intertwined, but not equal.

I'd suggest you read "The Ethicist" every Sunday in the New York Times magazine and think about the many ways in which morality/ethics diverge from the law. Should you keep jewelry you found on the street, or should you make an honest to goodness effort to find the owner first? It's your prerogative to keep unidentified items you find, but ethically, you should at least make an effort to reunite owner and item. Should people take "upskirt" photos, or exploit technology in such ways that aren't illegal simply because laws haven't caught up?

Quite frankly, there are so many instances where the two things have different perspectives that you are giving little to no thought about these issues other than stating "breaking the law is in and of itself unethical" a line of thought that is roundly rejected by experts in the field. You have an ethical obligation only in so far as society is acting ethically and fair in making its laws. And this doesn't mean that on balance society is fair, say 60 percent fair, but in the remainder of issues it isn't, but since the majority of it is right on, you have to accept all of the laws of society because its more or less ethical. No, that is silly.

If there was a society that was perfectly ethical and fair EXCEPT for one law that dictated someone would be randomly sacrificed, even if everyone voted on such a law, it would still be ethical to protest this or refuse to be the person to be sacrificed. You don't have to accept it just because it is a law, it would be a ridiculous thing to follow, even if the rest of society is perfect. In other words, just because society's laws IN GENERAL serve the greater good, lawmaking itself is so flawed that you don't have to take the bad with the good and just deal. You aim to change the system, but when the system is gamed, you don't have to respect said law.

And BTW, I am amazed this convo didn't bring this up yet, but what about Conscientious Objectors in wars? Were such people summarily unethical? After all, they received the benefits of the society that America provided them. Should they support their country no matter what, just because a law says they had to serve? Same with draft dogers who had no way to have a sponsor for such objection? The government can just institute a program like that, and you don't have an ethical obligation to follow it, if the whole point is unethical in the first place -- laws or no laws.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:52 am

I am not even reading that. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Metroid wrote:
Yoda wrote:Well, in the OP's sense of use of steroids, it is clearly unethical. No sport allows steroid use as far as I know and it would be considered 'cheating', therefore unethical.

Some people consider wrastlin a sport...I believe they are legal in the WWE. :-b

Nope, in fact Vince McMahon was brought before the supreme court many years ago due to rumors that he was providing steroids to the wrestlers (and found not guilty).

And now there is a strict testing procedure in the WWE for any and all illegal drugs. One of the most strict testing procedures I've ever heard of. They test for everything and test so deep they even found a heart problem MVP (Montel Vontavious Porter) had that could have killed him (which they paid to have surgically fixed). One guy tried to use a prosthetic device to pass the test, so now all talent must be naked from their chest to their ankles and in front of one of the testing administrators when urinating in the cup.

So the WWE is cleaner than it ever has been and quite cleaner than most sports out there. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Metroid » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Madison wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Yoda wrote:Well, in the OP's sense of use of steroids, it is clearly unethical. No sport allows steroid use as far as I know and it would be considered 'cheating', therefore unethical.

Some people consider wrastlin a sport...I believe they are legal in the WWE. :-b

Nope, in fact Vince McMahon was brought before the supreme court many years ago due to rumors that he was providing steroids to the wrestlers (and found not guilty).

And now there is a strict testing procedure in the WWE for any and all illegal drugs. One of the most strict testing procedures I've ever heard of. They test for everything and test so deep they even found a heart problem MVP (Montel Vontavious Porter) had that could have killed him (which they paid to have surgically fixed). One guy tried to use a prosthetic device to pass the test, so now all talent must be naked from their chest to their ankles and in front of one of the testing administrators when urinating in the cup.

So the WWE is cleaner than it ever has been and quite cleaner than most sports out there. ;-D

Wow I had no idea, good for them. B-) ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Didnt Test just die?
I know it is off topic but with the WWE talk, I heard Test just died in his apartment?
Cause of death?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Metroid » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:23 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Didnt Test just die?
I know it is off topic but with the WWE talk, I heard Test just died in his apartment?
Cause of death?

A quick Google search didn't reveal the cause of death, the autopsy results may not be in yet. He was found dead on Friday the 13th. :-o

Here's a link though...
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby JTWood » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Amazinz wrote:I am not even reading that. :-D

The kids say... tl;dr
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Metroid » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:37 pm

JTWood wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I am not even reading that. :-D

The kids say... tl;dr

wtf does that mean?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:44 pm

I think it means So long and thanks for all the fish but urban dictionary says too long; didn't read and I guess that could be right. }:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think it means So long and thanks for all the fish...

I loled. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk