Totally new to fantasy baseball... high stakes league. Help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Totally new to fantasy baseball... high stakes league. Help!

Totally new to fantasy baseball... high stakes league. Help!

Postby SpachoMan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:15 am

Hey guys. I'm really more of a hockey person but I was roped into doing a yahoo fantasy baseball league. It has 12 teams and is the standard 5x5 roto variety. The only problem is I know next to nothing about baseball.

Where should I start? I have a magazine but it seems so overwhelming. Are Yahoo's pre-draft rankings acceptable or should I use somewhere else? Any draft day tips? Roy Halladay is my favorit eplayer so I'd really like to have him on my team, although I know it's best to draft with your head and not your heart. Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
SpachoMan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Hockey

Re: Totally new to fantasy baseball... high stakes league. Help!

Postby RRGL1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Welcome to the baseball side of the Cafe.

Well, you should try and learn as much as possible about baseball in order to be competitive. There is lots of free fantasy content online, Yahoo and ESPN have stuff daily and would probably be a good start for you. As far a rankings go, not one is perfect. Over in the Baseball Leftovers forum is a thread that has compiled the Average Draft Positions (ADP) from various sites...you could roll with that as a ranking if you wanted.

And of course visit this Cafe frequently, the Draft/Trade/Keeper, & Baseball Leftovers would be good forums for you to at least lurk in.

Good luck, and have fun. ;-D

viewtopic.php?t=364592
RRGL1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:51 pm

Check your PMs I just sent you a message that should get you up to speed on some players.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby TheDudeAbides » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Welcome to the very addicting world of fantasy baseball!

Though there is some nice free content out there, I find it just doesnt cut it especially concerning the most relevant and up to date information and advice or when it comes to draft kits and etc that would come in handy for a high stakes league.

For a league that you are in, I would make the investment and go for the baseball section of Owner's Edge on fanball.com. They offer some features that I just love (live advice chat, lineup cards, draft analysis, etc etc). Yes, it is a small payment, but when you are in a higher stakes league such as yourself, or in a $ league in general, it is easy to consider it an investment. I swear they have info and tools there that other places just dont have.

Hope that helps some!
TheDudeAbides
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Beginner's Forum