100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Spilborghs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Spilborghs

Postby WTH » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:13 pm

j24jags wrote:
WTH wrote:
j24jags wrote:Sorry but I'd be very worried if those were my top 3 OF...

Why? I also have Raul Ibanez as a non-sexy dependable OF to round my 4 OF spots. My 5 keepers going into the draft were Hanley, Utley, Teixeira, Mauer, and Peavy.

I love all their potential, but it's very dangerous to go into the year with 3 unproven breakout candidates. Yes if they all break out you will be atop the standings, but if they don't improve as much as you expect you'll be near the bottom...I always try to have at most 2 breakout guys in my entire starting lineup, let alone 3 in my OF.

Yeah, its a risk, but I love the potential of all these guys and it'll be fun to track them throughout the year! Makes the game a bit more exciting!
WTH
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby metsfan12 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:11 pm

WTH wrote:
j24jags wrote:
WTH wrote:
Why? I also have Raul Ibanez as a non-sexy dependable OF to round my 4 OF spots. My 5 keepers going into the draft were Hanley, Utley, Teixeira, Mauer, and Peavy.

I love all their potential, but it's very dangerous to go into the year with 3 unproven breakout candidates. Yes if they all break out you will be atop the standings, but if they don't improve as much as you expect you'll be near the bottom...I always try to have at most 2 breakout guys in my entire starting lineup, let alone 3 in my OF.

Yeah, its a risk, but I love the potential of all these guys and it'll be fun to track them throughout the year! Makes the game a bit more exciting!

In a 12 teamer there are plenty of good OF that arise during the season within the FA pool anyway. It is a pretty deep position at the lower end. I do agree that is a horrible OF though.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm seeing a lot of "deep sleeper" hype on Spilborghs, but I'm a bit skeptical as we haven't even really seen him play a full season. He seems to have some workmanlike skills and is more or less a placeholder until Fowler arrives, so not sure why all the fuss.

But then again, McLouth pretty much came out of nowhere last year, so it does happen.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RenPastana » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:50 pm

So in your opinion, who ends up with better stats this year...Spilborghs or Travis Snider?
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Snider will have more homers & RBI, Spilborghs seems capable of hitting .290 and about 15 homers and steals. I don't rate either player super-high in terms of production this year. I guess my point about Spilborghs is that people seem to think some huge break-out year is coming, while I see decent but still modest production. I've been wrong many many times before, but I'm just looking for the true indicator here.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby metsfan12 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:19 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Snider will have more homers & RBI, Spilborghs seems capable of hitting .290 and about 15 homers and steals. I don't rate either player super-high in terms of production this year. I guess my point about Spilborghs is that people seem to think some huge break-out year is coming, while I see decent but still modest production. I've been wrong many many times before, but I'm just looking for the true indicator here.

A guy that can hit .300 with 15/15 and at the top of an order in the late rounds is something to like. His OBP has increased year over year with the minimum AB he has been given and you have to think that it is possible his numbers per AB improve with more regular PT. That is the reason for the mini-hype. He hasn't done anything offensively that there isn't to like.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:30 pm

Good point, I guess I'm gonna have to not write him off so easily. Consider me a convert re. the mini-hype. Perhaps he is the poor man's Nate McLouth but with a batting average that McLouth would kill for. ;-D
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BUCCOFAN » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Hope you guys are right, I snagged "Spilly" with my last (OF) slot in a 15 team mixed leaguer for $1, plus I have Fowler in my Minors. ;-D We start 6 (OF) weekly.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)

Postby aravtrain21 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:25 pm

My main man "Spilly" is now up to .368 with 3 homers this spring. Pick him up!
aravtrain21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby metsfan12 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:40 am

aravtrain21 wrote:My main man "Spilly" is now up to .368 with 3 homers this spring. Pick him up!

He also has 5 SB on top of those 3 HR and his average now stands at .390. I'd say he has a very good shot at sticking at the leadoff spot atleast for awhile once the season starts.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates