How much is Jayson Werth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

How much is Jayson Werth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How much is Jayson Werth?

Postby Geek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:38 pm

I have Jayson Werth on my keeper team, and it seems every opinion I read about the guy online--either here or on other websites--is down on the guy. Is there any reason to doubt him besides the health issue? He was a star prospect coming up, he went 20/20 last year even with missed time due to injury and platooning, and he's absolutely tearing things up in spring training this year.

The latest on him from TSN:

March 18, 2009 - 7:08 p.m.
Jayson Werth delivered a three-run homer and a double as the Phillies and Blue Jays played to a 7-7 tie on Wednesday.
Fantasy spin: Werth is 10-for-28 with three homers and three doubles. Maybe the hot spring will convince the Phillies to hit him fifth and break up left-handed hitters Ryan Howard and Raul Ibanez. It'd be good for fantasy value, though the sixth spot isn't so bad in Philadelphia's lineup, either.

http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/b ... pe=updates

Am I the only person who thinks this guy-- 25/25 tools batting 5th or 6th in that lineup--is being underrated?
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How much is Jayson Werth?

Postby metsfan12 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Geek wrote:I have Jayson Werth on my keeper team, and it seems every opinion I read about the guy online--either here or on other websites--is down on the guy. Is there any reason to doubt him besides the health issue? He was a star prospect coming up, he went 20/20 last year even with missed time due to injury and platooning, and he's absolutely tearing things up in spring training this year.

The latest on him from TSN:

March 18, 2009 - 7:08 p.m.
Jayson Werth delivered a three-run homer and a double as the Phillies and Blue Jays played to a 7-7 tie on Wednesday.
Fantasy spin: Werth is 10-for-28 with three homers and three doubles. Maybe the hot spring will convince the Phillies to hit him fifth and break up left-handed hitters Ryan Howard and Raul Ibanez. It'd be good for fantasy value, though the sixth spot isn't so bad in Philadelphia's lineup, either.

http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/b ... pe=updates

Am I the only person who thinks this guy-- 25/25 tools batting 5th or 6th in that lineup--is being underrated?

I think he is being a little underrated but he likely won't have a good average or high run/RBI totals. I agree 25/25 is possible. I expect slightly better numbers overall than last year. That is pretty good for where he goes in drafts.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:48 pm

If he gets 500 AB, I see no reason why he can't be a Corey Hart type of player: .275/25/80/80/25. But IMO that's his ceiling.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Geek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:24 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:If he gets 500 AB, I see no reason why he can't be a Corey Hart type of player: .275/25/80/80/25. But IMO that's his ceiling.

That's probably about right. But, I'll take that in the 10th-12th round.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zebulon » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:25 am

I like Werth, but I get nervous when every mag touts the same guy as the next breakout sleeper. That said, I also agree that 20-20 is not out of the realm of possibility. One mag was highlighting the fact that last year he hit a HR every 17 AB which was the best of his career. Looking at his history though, I'd say he probably reverts to something closer to a HR every 20 AB - which if he is able to put together 500 ABs, would give him 25. The speed is definitely there - just a matter of whether he can stay healthy for a whole season.
DraftTracker 2010 FREE Download Now Available at: http://drafttracker.weebly.com
zebulon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby McStallen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:30 pm

I think Werth is someone to target around round 10-12. He has had a great spring and his injury problems have been very minor over the last 2 years- he has a reputation for having a lot of injuries, but so did Jose Reyes a few years back. I think 30 HRs and 20 SBs are pretty reasonable numbers to expect, and probably a solid OPS

Remember, he came up as a catcher and I think in the OF his chances of staying healthy are a lot better
here's a link to give you a visual
http://www.beckett.com/images/pgitems/11562840101.jpg
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Return to Injuries & Player Updates