Who Will Win the 5th Rotation Spot? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to San Francisco Giants

Who Will Win the 5th Rotation Spot?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who Will Win the 5th Rotation Spot?

Postby shortsavage » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:45 pm

This WebHamster fellow seems to be taking over the Giants' forum, so I thought I would bring up some Giants news of my own.

Dustin Hermanson is looking mighty good so far this spring. With his impressive start of 4 scoreless innings, 1 hit allowed, 1 BB and 6Ks, he is going to have to absolutely bite the dust for anyone to have a chance of beating him out.

I know it would be exciting to see Merkin in the rotation at the start of the season, but he is still ripening, and he will probably be in the rotation sometime this season even if he does not make it in it out of camp (a la Williams).

Who do you think will win the Giants 5th Rotation Spot?
Last edited by shortsavage on Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:57 pm

Corriea ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby eftda » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:00 am

Corriea was a stud in his ST game.. and he did great for a rookie last year, its his job to lose.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:35 am

I disagree. Hermanson was a bigger contributer last season. And I believe that it is no one's job to lose right now.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby eftda » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:32 am

well, i would like to se ehim make the #5 spot, becuase the Giants do need to get younger, and cheeper. I know hermondson is signed for less than 1 million, but if the Giants could get their top 5 to be Schmidt, Williams, Foppert, Correra and Left hander, then they could be good for 2005 and on. (Yes i do know that Foppert had TJ and will be out till Sept of 2004)
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:47 pm

eftda,

If you want a solid rotation with a lot of youth, root for the A's ;-) . It is nearly certain that the Giants will not boast a starting staff like the one you mentioned so long as their current management is in tact. Such an act would go against the philosophy that they have exhibited since the Sabean era, albiet it would be exciting.

I suppose that it is possible that the Giants could consider a team lead by young pitching in the post-Bonds days, and that would not be a bad move at all in my mind. I just cannot see it happening :-? .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby LCBOY » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:20 pm

The Giants need to start thinking about the post-Bond days. The reason they have been able to build solid teams during 1997-2003 is becasue of the greatness of Barry. However, he will turn 40 in July. I would not be surprised if Barry had a significant drop-off this season. Here's an FYI. The record for most HRs by a player 40+ is 29 HRs held by Ted Williams. Think about that for a minute. The greatest sluggers in baseball history, Ruth, Mays, Aaron, Mantle, Foxx, Schmidt, Jackson, Robinson, McCovey, wtc., we unable to even hit 30 HRs at age 40 or over. To expect Barry to 45-50 HRs this years is just plain silly.

The Giants MUST get younger. Their farm system is a mess. When was the last time they produced even an above average major league position player? They keep signing guys like Hammonds, Tucker, Perex, Cruz Jr, Grissom, etc. These guys are not the answer. They need to give Corriea a shot to get experience. He could be something special. He was drafted in 2002 and was the first player from that draft to reach the majors. That speaks volumes. And he earned his promotion.

OK, enough of my rant! }:-)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Return to San Francisco Giants