How to accommodate new gm in keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to accommodate new gm in keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to accommodate new gm in keeper

Postby markj11 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:45 pm

How do you let new gms join a keeper league? Currently we keep 3 and if a new gm/gms joins we allow them to do a supplemental draft 3 round draft by themselves. We are going to 5 keepers next year and feel this may be too generous. Say a gm drops out that had the top 5 guys and new one joins, then this rookie automatically becomes the top dog. We not likey and need a solution.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to accommodate new gm in keeper

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:53 pm

How many teams? I would just let them take over the old team.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby markj11 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Yoda wrote:How many teams? I would just let them take over the old team.

We have 12 teams but there is no limit. Taking over the old team still gives them an advantage by getting the top 5 guys. Also, what if 1 team drops out but we have two new gms? We want to encourage new teams but not let them come in on top.

I was thinking maybe let the new teams have the first picks in every round, or maybe just the 1st 5 rounds.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby markj11 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Or maybe give them 2 picks in the 1st and 2nd.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:05 pm

I don't know, maybe you're not telling us the whole story or describing it accurately but the supplemental draft seems problematic. Why not just scratch that and let him take over the team like Yoda suggested.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby markj11 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't know, maybe you're not telling us the whole story or describing it accurately but the supplemental draft seems problematic. Why not just scratch that and let him take over the team like Yoda suggested.

Taking over a team is one scenario but if we are just adding a team?
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Gotcha, this is an expansion team. Well if you have teams keeping 5 or 3, I would give him the top 5 or 3 picks. That doesn't seem unbalanced to me. As far as a GM dropping out I would just transfer control of that team anyway so I don't really see it as being an issue. If the new guy becomes the top dog that wouldn't really matter to me either.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby markj11 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:Gotcha, this is an expansion team. Well if you have teams keeping 5 or 3, I would give him the top 5 or 3 picks. That doesn't seem unbalanced to me. As far as a GM dropping out I would just transfer control of that team anyway so I don't really see it as being an issue. If the new guy becomes the top dog that wouldn't really matter to me either.

Thanks, I'm just trying to cover everything possible. Some of the guys are very annal.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Here's how I would do it (if I had 1 Expansion Team).

Incumbent Teams (IT) all protect 1 player.

Expansion Team (ET) picks one keeper off of 1 IT, Team A.

Team A fills out his remaining keepers.

All other IT's protect a second player.

ET picks one keeper of 1 IT, Team B.

Team B fills out his remaining keepers.

And then so on and so forth. The upshot is that the Expansion Team can't pick more than 1 guy who the existing teams were going to protect, but he doesn't get completely hosed, either.

If you were adding multiple Expansion Teams, I would do it.....

All IT's protect 1 player.

ET #1 selects a player, off of Team A.

Team A protects a second player.

ET #2 selects a player, off of Team B.

Team B protects a second player.

All IT's protect an additional player (bringing the total up to 3 for Team A and Team B, and 2 for everybody else).

Keep doing this until everyone has all their keepers.

The ideal, though, is that you don't have any Expansion Teams and the new owners just take over existing teams.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:07 pm

I would think that the easiest way is to give the new team the first 3/5/7 picks (how many keepers your league has)

That would not make their team totally even, so I would probably allow them the first pick in the actual draft as well or maybe even do the first two rounds in a non snake format.

I think the more keepers the more of an advantage you would have to give to the new team in the draft.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Commissioner's Corner