Brandon Wood - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Wood

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brandon Wood

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:10 pm

hybrid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm a bit surprised to see Wood go back to AAA, but he definitely had his work cut out for him to find playing time with Izturis and Aybar being better defensive SS. I believe he'll eventually find his way up and again, it remains to be seen what kind of PT he'll get. Kendrick and Figgins for whatever reason don't manage to stay healthy and either or both out, could open the door for Wood.

Eh don't be, the Angels have really shown a lack of ability to developing their hitting prospects. Not that I think Wood is great, but the Angels once had a loaded system and really besides some pitching they don't have much to show for it. They stall their developement with veterans and just never give them the full opportunity to develope IMO.

I think it more or less has to do with the manager's philosophy more than anything. Scioscia doesn't have a world of patience when it comes to top prospects who tend to swing at anything, although I remember Dallas McPherson getting plenty of time to shine when he was in Anaheim, just because he was seen as a more cost-effective, younger version of Troy Glaus. Scioscia is normally looking for players who are willing just to put the ball in play and can manufacture runs across.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:27 am

he started spring barely striking out (his main issue) but he's started reverting to himself and struck out more recently. now he's at 10Ks in 55Abs. :-/
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Solar » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:34 am

Wood has homered in 3 straight games now and is batting .333 in AAA.
Solar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hett2333 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:43 pm

Solar wrote:Wood has homered in 3 straight games now and is batting .333 in AAA.

It's great to hear, but what does it really mean? Unless there's an injury, he has no where to play...
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby converge241 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:57 am

hett2333 wrote:
Solar wrote:Wood has homered in 3 straight games now and is batting .333 in AAA.

It's great to hear, but what does it really mean? Unless there's an injury, he has no where to play...

Ask and ye shall receive

Hopefully the Vlad DL move allows him to come up and DH and maybe some 3B with Figgins in the OF

could use some pop with Vlad out so why not give him another chance
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:02 am

From what I've read, the Angels are leaning toward bringing up another C and putting Napoli at DH
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby converge241 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:15 am

Who? Conger? Budde?

Wood wasnt in the lineup tonight (and was back from the funeral and all)

I don't know what they will do, but would like to see it be Wood
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:56 am

I hope Wood is called as well. Angels absolutely need as much power in the lineup as possible. They are going to need to hit their way to wins given the state of both the starting and relief pitching.

Calling up Wood allows both Napoli and Wood to be in the lineup. Figgins can play some OF or 2B.

Wood could end up getting some starts at short as well.

I've also heard they were leaning to calling up another catcher so Napoli could DH, I hope that does not happen.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Trebor » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:24 pm

it would make sense for them to bring up the hot stick in Wood and move Figgy to OF, while Vlad is out. if they bring him up, is he worth a grab in a league will smallish rosters? do you guys think he would get enough ABs to warrant grabbing?
Trebor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:53 pm

If they call him up, I would expect 4 starts per week. In a 8 or 10 team league, probably not worth grabbing. In a 12 to 14 team league, I would consider picking him up given your roster configuration.

I could see him playing full time if he performs well, as the Angels are really desperate for a power hitter with Vlad out.

I would like to see both Wood and Napoli playing.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers