Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:14 pm

That's the thing. If he's supposed to be motivated to beat out someone like Kearns for the job and can't do it, then how much faith can you have in the guy? Talent schmalent is what I say... lots of guys who have talent throw it away, Dukes is just the most recent example.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:28 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:That's the thing. If he's supposed to be motivated to beat out someone like Kearns for the job and can't do it, then how much faith can you have in the guy? Talent schmalent is what I say... lots of guys who have talent throw it away, Dukes is just the most recent example.

I think you are blatantly ignoring the obvious. Dukes is better than Kearns. Period. Just because Dukes got beat out of a starting gig due to a bad ST doesn't change anything.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MrRalph13 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Yoda wrote:
I think you are blatantly ignoring the obvious. Dukes is better than Kearns. Period. Just because Dukes got beat out of a starting gig due to a bad ST doesn't change anything.

I think it would change some of the projections we've seen on Dukes in the thread knowing how easily his ABs will be taken away. I don't think Stairs will dig into Werth's AB's as much, so this news has me leaning towards Werth.
MrRalph13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:09 pm

MrRalph13 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I think it would change some of the projections we've seen on Dukes in the thread knowing how easily his ABs will be taken away. I don't think Stairs will dig into Werth's AB's as much, so this news has me leaning towards Werth.

Yup, it definately sours my taste on Dukes if he's already going to lose playing time before the season even starts. I've only got him as a bench player in one league and might be looking to dump him for some pitching help already....we'll see though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:31 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:That's the thing. If he's supposed to be motivated to beat out someone like Kearns for the job and can't do it, then how much faith can you have in the guy? Talent schmalent is what I say... lots of guys who have talent throw it away, Dukes is just the most recent example.

Nowhere in this statement did I say that Dukes was less talented than Kearns.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:35 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:

Nowhere in this statement did I say that Dukes was less talented than Kearns.

Semantics.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby West » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Dukes got the start today, made some great plays in the field and then one-handed a home run opposite field on a low and outside fastball from Jamie Moyer. Literally. It was a pretty cool shot.

I still like Werth so far.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:46 pm

1 week doesn't mean anything. Nothing Dukes has done nor his current playing time in one week should cause people to adjust their projections for the entire season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 405z06 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Yoda wrote:1 week doesn't mean anything. Nothing Dukes has done nor his current playing time in one week should cause people to adjust their projections for the entire season.

Yeah, but an article by Tom Boswell linked on Fangraphs suggests the Milledge is the odd man out for regular playing time and that does make me do some adjustments.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/milledge-on-the-outs
+
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Milledge has been sent to AAA:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/new ... p&c_id=was

Go Dukes!
BALCO All-Stars