Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes

Postby West » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:48 pm

This is a tough one. I will admit I drafted Werth in the 14th round at pick 158, because I thought he was slipping. I didn't really need him; he's my 4th outfielder (bench). The funny thing is, Dukes went in the 13th at 149. Another player who projects similarly (but likely a bit better than either Werth or Dukes), Milledge was taken at #132.
I know I'd much rather have Milledge than either of the two, but I'm a bit more trusting of Werth I suppose. Dukes seems too much like Milton Bradley. If it was between Dukes at #200, or Werth at #158, no contest. But we're talking overall value.
And I know these numbers are meaningless, but here's Werth's spring line:
50AB: .320 AVG .700 SLG 1.033 OPS 5HR 11RBI 1SB

Not bad at all.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Yoda wrote:In my 12 team money league this morning 5x5 (OBP instead of AVG), Werth was taken in the 8th round, 95th overall and Dukes was taken in the 19th, 220 overall. Guess who got Dukes?

i dont know if this was meant as a brag, but to me, you're a fool for letting dukes fall to the 19th round. he should have been long gone.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:35 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Yoda wrote:In my 12 team money league this morning 5x5 (OBP instead of AVG), Werth was taken in the 8th round, 95th overall and Dukes was taken in the 19th, 220 overall. Guess who got Dukes?

i dont know if this was meant as a brag, but to me, you're a fool for letting dukes fall to the 19th round. he should have been long gone.

Not sure but Dukes is by no means a sure thing. He is still a pretty big risk and playing time is really valued in this league. Plus there were other guys that were falling to me and I didn't need to take Dukes. Call me a fool but it looks like it worked out perfectly for me. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:46 pm

Dukes is the kind of guy I take because I need an OF and there isn't value somewhere else. He easily could drop to the 19th round in my leagues if my need isn't OF because he has no set value. Dukes could easily not be worth drafting in a 10 team league this year or he could easily be worth drafting as a #2 OF. The range of outcomes is so huge on him that it makes it hard to draft him for 'value'.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:10 am

Im a sucker for talent and upside so of course I would take Dukes.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Pochucker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Im my competive money league I took Werth in 12th --Dukes went in 15th. Our league uses specific of positions and Werth is qualified at all three, so he is gold as my 4th OF.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby MrRalph13 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 am

via fangraphs:

News: Dukes lost the Opening Day right field job to Austin Kearns, the Washington Post reports.
Analysis: Kearns clearly outplayed Dukes this spring, out-OPSing him 1.017 to .632. Dukes also struck out twice as much(22 to 10). It is unclear how long Kearns will own the right field job, but Dukes will be the No. 2 at all three outfield spots until he gets starting time.
MrRalph13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:25 am

I didn't want Dukes in any of my drafts but this can't last long, everyone knows Austin Kearns is terrible.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:21 pm

If Kearns is terrible and got the starting job over Dukes, then what does that say about Dukes?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:34 pm

I don't think the sluggish Spring Dukes had, helped matters either. He and Milledge slumped greatly, but that meant a lot more to Dukes obviously when an everyday starting role was a bit iffy to begin with anyway.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers