Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:11 pm

Yoda wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:
Yoda wrote:
So is Werth.

For the cost, I'd much rather have Dukes.

Relative cost adds another dimension to this question. The creator of this thread was asking about dropping Werth for Dukes. Since he already has Werth IMO he'd be better off staying put.

But I agree that Dukes is coming at good value in almost all drafts.

I purposely ignored that part since this is the wrong forum to be asking that question. :-D

Good point. That's definitely true :-b
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:26 pm

PECOTA has them pretty much dead even, but given Werth has a MDP of more than 100 spots higher, I will be waiting on Dukes at the end of my drafts.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby smoovethug » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:18 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Yoda wrote:For the cost, I'd much rather have Dukes.

Exactly. I've seen Werth go as early as 10th (ECL)

By me. I needed speed there and have no problem taking Werth in the 10th. I like him over Dukes although they should go around the same area. Dukes has more potential but I believe Werth is the safer pick. I said this in the thread that San D mentioned:

I understand that Werth has dealt with injuries in his past but getting him 5-6 rounds later than Corey Hart is an absolute gift. I won't say that I can see Werth going 30/30 but I will say that a 20/20 year is in the bag. I've said this in his thread in the 09 predictions forum: not only does he have good speed but he's smart on the bases, evidenced by his career sb% of 89.7 (44 sb in 49 attempts). Couple this with the fact that he's a pupil of Davey Lopes, who led the Phils to a ML record in sb efficiency (87%, 138/157) in 07, and I can't see how he fails to steal 20 barring injury. Manuel has the tendency to ride a hot bat here and there so sure Jenkins will see some time against a few tough RHPs. While everyone sees the fluctuation in BA from LHP to RHP (.303/.255) his OBP remained virtually unaffected (.368/.360). Also understand that Jenkins in the field is a huge downgrade from the athletic ability of Werth. Manuel has stated that he thinks Werth has proven that he's an everyday player. This all leads me to believe that Werth will get the bulk of ABs.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby smoovethug » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:

Exactly. I've seen Werth go as early as 10th (ECL) and that is way too early for my taste. Werth's MDP is 140 and Dukes' is 251. I'd rank them close to each other, with Dukes having a slight edge, but there's no way I'm taking Werth anywhere near where he's going.

Dukes usually goes way earlier than his MDP suggests btw. 259 MDP = 23rd. In the ECL he went in the 13th. Are you screaming about that?

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Field » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Dukes won't get past the 13-14th round in most competitive leagues. I definitely see the comparisions between the two players, Dukes seems to have a lower floor given his maturity and PT issues. Werth is a fine pick in the 10th round area, although I haven't been targeting him.

The reason Corey Hart goes higher than the other two is that he has produced more consistently and is in the middle of his prime. I'm rather low on Hart, I don't really expect much more than last season.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:49 pm

smoovethug wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:

Exactly. I've seen Werth go as early as 10th (ECL) and that is way too early for my taste. Werth's MDP is 140 and Dukes' is 251. I'd rank them close to each other, with Dukes having a slight edge, but there's no way I'm taking Werth anywhere near where he's going.

Dukes usually goes way earlier than his MDP suggests btw. 259 MDP = 23rd. In the ECL he went in the 13th. Are you screaming about that?

Not as loud, but 13th is early for Dukes too.

Hi, I'm Neato Torpedo, you may remember me from such topics as "Aramis Ramirez vs. Kevin Youkilis" and "Rowand??????????". Today I'll be deriding another breakout season from a 29 year old in "Jayson Werth vs. Elijah Dukes".

What matters less than what we see is what Manuel sees. And if Manuel notices that Werth gets fewer hits against RHP then he's more likely to sit. He knows that Werth has been a platoon player for most of his career, and he's more likely to use him as such. He may be a starter now but he's likely on a tight leash, especially with trusty veterans Stairs and Jenkins backing him up.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby stumpak » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Dukes is loaded with all sorts of risks (PT, off-the-field issues) but ultimately I would rather have him than Werth (and in fact I do). I am just not confident in Werth to either a) produce at the same level on a full-time basis as he did as a platoon player and/or b) hold down a full-time job against RHPs.

Dukes is on the cusp of being the overrated flavor of the month, but Werth is already there.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:51 pm

In my 12 team money league this morning 5x5 (OBP instead of AVG), Werth was taken in the 8th round, 95th overall and Dukes was taken in the 19th, 220 overall. Guess who got Dukes?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:54 pm

Did I just hear trusty and Jenkins in the same sentence?
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Scoots#5 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Werth for this year i'd say - and maybe even 2010, after that - i'd be all over dukes.
All that you do
Do as you might
Things done in halves
Are never done right
Scoots#5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers