Changing from Redraft to Keeper - Rules/Settings Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Changing from Redraft to Keeper - Rules/Settings Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Changing from Redraft to Keeper - Rules/Settings Question

Postby phorts » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:00 pm

Hey guys n gals.

I've been running a standard 10-12 team 5x5 H2H league for the past 5 years and am finally getting around to switching it over to a keeper league. I have all the rules setup in Yahoo (draft order, keeper assignments, etc). But I have a couple general rules I have questions on that i couldnt seem to find here in the forums or on Google. Any help is appreciated and WHIR if needed.

Standard Yahoo PLUS! 12 Team H2H Keeper League - Keeping 1 player this year and moving up to 2 next year and so on until we reach 3-4 players.

1. I've read that basically you lose the pick for the round in which the player you decide to keep was drafted in LAST years draft. In the case of an undrafted player, you would lose your last round pick. Is this how everyone is setting theirs up?

2. How are you deciding draft order? I'm realizing that this has a pretty significant impact on deciding who to keep and who you think you can get back with your first round pick. Also, the 2 new managers we added were given 4th and 5th pick overall by way of the Random Draft Order Generator I used.. so, with my current rules they can basically choose to keep a first rounder that wasnt kept by any of the returning managers AS WELL as select another first round player BEFORE i get to select in the first round. I'm having a hard time feeling like that's fair, but i dont know how else do do it.

3. Next year, do you get to keep the same player you kept THIS year?

4. If so, how do you know which round you lose? The original Draft pick? IE. One manager is keeping Ian Kinsler and losing his 12th round pick from last year. He's getting an incredible value, which i think is fine given that is the purpose of keeper leagues. But, i dont think that's fair going into next year. How is that handled?

I may just throw out keepers alltogether and just do another redraft..this is getting too complicated!

Thanks for any help and WHIR as always.

thank you
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Changing from Redraft to Keeper - Rules/Settings Question

Postby phorts » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Anyone with any help on this? How are people setting up their keeper leagues?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fleurent21 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Hey, I'm in a similar position in that we're doing a keeper, but going forward, not from last years teams. I've put a lot of thought into how the keepers should go into next years drafts, what pick to lose, etc. We're just doing 2 keepers, not uping the amount or anything like that annually as you are doing.
I don't think you need to keep the same draft picks every year. You should be able to choose any of your players to keep going forward, not necessarily the guy you kept 2 years ago.
In regards to the draft, I've been pondering how to give the advantage of keeping a guy you got later, but not to the point where (if this was started 2 years ago) the guy who keeps Braun annually loses his last pick for a 1st round guy.
What I've realized is that it needs to be a ratio of where the player was drafted and his projected draft slot for the current year. I am also using Yahoo so therefore I will use Yahoo projections to determine the latter part of this ratio. It should be weighted 75% towards last years draft position and 25% towards his projection.
Lets say a keeper is a guy drafted in the 12th round last year, but yahoo projects him going in the 4th round this year. The owner would lose his 10th round draft pick to keep this player. It's not too extreme either way, but does take into consideration where he was drafted and where he would likely get drafted.
I know not all of the math will give nice, even numbers as did my example, so I simply round up/down so there is no decimal.
NOW lets say that next year the owner keeps this same player, and this guy is a stud and is now projected to be drafted in the 1st round. The weight of the ratio needs to change. Now I'd weigh it 50% towards the original draft position, 25% from last years draft projection, and 25% of the current draft projection. For said player drafted 2 years ago in the 12th round the owner would now lose a 7th rounder to keep him. Again, GREAT bargain for a 1st rounder, but the whole point of a keeper league is to draft stars of the future to get those bargains!
fleurent21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby phorts » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Well, i've done a lot of conversing with other league members and so far this is what we have:

1. Keep 1 player this year (player must have been on your FINAL ROSTER from last year)

2. Keepers must be decided BEFORE the draft order is set. We don't want draft order to influence who you keep.

3. Keep 2 players next year (the cap will stay at 2)

4. If you keep a guy, you will lose your draft pick for the position in which he was drafted LAST YEAR (in case of an undrafted player, you lose your last round pick)

5. Any new managers being added to the league DO NOT get to keep anyone. They simply retain all of their picks. I think this is the most fair to the returning managers and doesnt give the new managers any REAL significant setbacks.

6. Next year, the same player may be kept, but you will lose your pick for the round in which his Yahoo! ADP (Rank) was at the time of LAST YEAR's draft (ADP's for players kept will be recorded for reference since these are the only players that need to be concerned with this) ie. If you keep Ryan Braun next year and he was kept this year, you will lose your first round pick since his Rank is 7 and would fall in RD1 of our 12 team league's draft.

I dont mind the previous posters rationale and think it's probably a more accurate and fair way to do things, but you're creating a lot of work for yourself and for not a whole lotta reason. You should be rewarded for drafting, picking up or trading for players and holding onto them while they drive their value up. This gives players more value and are subsequently better trading pieces/more valuable to hold onto for keepers. Also, you want the system to be easy to understand and accessible for all managers so that they can analyze trades and adds without having to pull out the Trig Calculator..... just my .02

Anyways, does anyone do anything differently than what I have listed above? If so, what?

Thank you!
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ramble2 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 am

Don't know if you are still interested, but thought I'd chime in.

I've run a keeper league for several years. We've changed from the world's most complicated keeper system (which was, admittedly, really awesome, but too much work), to something more straight forward. Now we each get to keep up to five players, plus one rookie. Each player costs a draft pick two rounds higher than where that player was kept/drafted last year with three exceptions: 1. rookies cost nothing (i.e., your final round pick); 2. players kept in rookie spots the previous year that are no longer rookies cost a 15th round pick; 3. undrafted players cost a 20th round pick.

phorts wrote:Hey guys n gals.
1. I've read that basically you lose the pick for the round in which the player you decide to keep was drafted in LAST years draft. In the case of an undrafted player, you would lose your last round pick. Is this how everyone is setting theirs up?

We have a 25 man roster, and you must forfeit your 20th round pick to keep an undrafted player. If you keep two undrafted players, you must forfeit your 19th and 20th round picks,* though both are listed as costing a 20th round pick under 'keeper costs'. I would consider making it a little more expensive (e.g., a 15th round pick), although this year I'm keeping Quentin as a 20th rounder so it works out well for me!
phorts wrote:2. How are you deciding draft order? I'm realizing that this has a pretty significant impact on deciding who to keep and who you think you can get back with your first round pick. Also, the 2 new managers we added were given 4th and 5th pick overall by way of the Random Draft Order Generator I used.. so, with my current rules they can basically choose to keep a first rounder that wasnt kept by any of the returning managers AS WELL as select another first round player BEFORE i get to select in the first round. I'm having a hard time feeling like that's fair, but i dont know how else do do it.

Draft order is the opposite of final standings of the previous season. No snake draft either. If you win the league, you have last pick each round. We like to make it challenging to repeat.
phorts wrote:3. Next year, do you get to keep the same player you kept THIS year?

You can keep players as long as you want. Adding inflation each year makes them increasingly more expensive, and makes late round keepers much more valuable.
phorts wrote:4. If so, how do you know which round you lose? The original Draft pick? IE. One manager is keeping Ian Kinsler and losing his 12th round pick from last year. He's getting an incredible value, which i think is fine given that is the purpose of keeper leagues. But, i dont think that's fair going into next year. How is that handled?

It's crucial to include inflation. It will make keeper decisions far more interesting and fun.

I'd recommend starting from scratch. Don't have any keepers this time and do a snake draft or auction, but let everyone know that the league is becoming a keeper league. Make the rules clear before the draft. Rather than building up to a number of keepers, just jump right in. It's really fun! I'd recommend the format we use. It's really easy, and you get lots of different strategies towards selecting keepers. Some go for a bunch of first rounds, others try to collect lots of late round keepers. Both have proven successful.

*In general, if you keep two players that would cost the same, you have to sacrifice a pick one round higher to keep the second player. E.g., if you have two players that cost a 6th round pick, you have to give up a 5th and 6th round pick. Yahoo lets you list keeper costs, and both are listed as 6th round picks. The only exception is for 1st rounders, where you have to start giving up subsequent picks.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Return to Commissioner's Corner