Rick Porcello - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Rick Porcello

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rick Porcello

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Well, it looks as though Porcello may have pitched himself into the big leagues. The Tigers need a #5 SP, and possibly a #4 depending on Bonderman's availability. Nate Robertson and Dontrelle Willis have simply looked terrible. Porcello has looked very good - the best pitcher in camp by most accounts I have read.

Here's an article from today detailing the situation a bit better - both pros and cons:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 30368/1031

Remember, many considered Porcello to be the #1 SP in the 2007 draft, but he fell to the Tigers due to signability concerns. He has a good curve, a good change, an above average fastball, and a wicked sinker. He throws the sinker affectively enough to be considered a ground ball pitcher. As a 19 year old he only pitched 125 innings last yr, but led the Florida State league in ERA.

If he does land the #5 SP spot, the Tigers do not have the luxury of going with a 4 man rotation to start the season and he could get his first big league start pretty early in April. I could see him being a real valuable fantasy option much in the same way Bruce was when he got the call - not necessarily putting up great numbers, but good enough to be a great bargaining chip for trades due to his hype.

I guess what I am saying is that it might be a good idea to grab this kid in the last rd of your drafts before most people catch on that he is probably going to be the #5 to start the yr.

Just a heads up to the Cafe ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rick Porcello

Postby MotorCityKitties » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:26 pm

There's really nothing substantiative in that article. Henning gives his opinion and the thoughts from a scout and a writer. Henning has been writing "Porcello to the majors" articles for weeks. We probably won't see him in the majors until after the ASB at the earliest.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:03 am

MotorCityKitties wrote:There's really nothing substantiative in that article. Henning gives his opinion and the thoughts from a scout and a writer. Henning has been writing "Porcello to the majors" articles for weeks. We probably won't see him in the majors until after the ASB at the earliest.

Actually, the majority of talk out of ST right now centers around Porcello - from what I have been reading and hearing both from local and national sources. Its not just Henning.

I guess I cant see Detroit with too many options right now. Is Robertson or Willis even remotely ready?

Who has consistantly been the best SP in ST? Its clearly been Porcello by a mile, and I remember the talk last yr that he was arguably the best SP in ST then too.

Dont get me wrong, I truly do not want to see Porcello rushed up, and if they had another option and didnt use it, I would be pretty mad. But the reality is that as of right now they cant seriously consider Willis, and Robertson has been as bad or worse than Willis.

With attendance what it was last yr, with it being a make or break yr for Leyland, with Porcello being the best SP in camp, and with one, possibly even 2 major holes in the rotation, I think the writing is on the wall: Porcello goes north with the Tigers.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mattingly Is God » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:19 am

I have Porcello in a minor league squad in my dynasty league and I hope he doesnt pitch in the majors this year just because I don't feel like creating a roster spot for him....yet
Mattingly Is God
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Update:

Nate Robertson had his best outing of the spring yesterday. Willis was terrible (again). And Rick Porcello cut his finger during fielding drills and will have his scheduled start pushed back a couple days.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby zebulon » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:31 am

Even if he does make the Tigers, I doubt I would consider him. I'm not big on guys that don't get a lot of K's and at just 19 years old he's going to have growing pains for sure. Now, if we were talking about Stephen Strasburg, that would be a different story.
DraftTracker 2010 FREE Download Now Available at: http://drafttracker.weebly.com
zebulon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Motown Blues » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:19 pm

I think he'll make the rotation. However, no matter how good he looks, he'll have a severely restricted pitch count. Don't expect much more than 5-6 innings on a GOOD start. Don't bother wasting a spot...
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RotOAddicT » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:57 pm

Looks like it might be PORCELLO TIME!

Rotoworld:
Nate Robertson came out of Wednesday's game in the first inning with a hand injury.
Bad timing for Robertson, who appeared close to securing a rotation spot. Rick Porcello owners should take note.
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Motown Blues » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:14 pm

per rotoworld:
Mar. 26 - 9:16 pm et

Rick Porcello allowed one run in 2 1/3 innings and walked three Thursday in his start against the Rays.The door isn't yet shut on Porcello, but he hasn't forced it open any wider with his two performances since returning from a finger injury. He put six men on base today and struck out just one.
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RotOAddicT » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:30 am

Anyone know when his next start is, And do you think he is going to stay with the team after ST?
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates