Looking for good H2H rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looking for good H2H rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking for good H2H rankings

Postby deanpapelbon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 pm

I just joined a H2H roto league (i think thats what its called, its not points based) and am looking for H2H rankings to see how they differ from roto.

I know I ran into some the other day that were wildly different that the roto rankings I generally see but now I cant remember where they were. All I remember is that the option existed to view H2H or roto rankings depending on your preference.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.

....oh, and I understand that rankings are just a tool. I'm just looking for a set so that I can see the relationship between the two.
deanpapelbon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for good H2H rankings

Postby deanpapelbon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:12 pm

I have a draft coming up and I'm still struggling to find rankings that address H2H. Should I be treating them the same?
deanpapelbon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:37 pm

H2H roto is more or less the same as roto. It's H2H points that has wildly different rankings. The biggest difference between H2H roto and roto is that some drafting gimmicks work in one but not the other. Just look up one of the 5000 threads about H2H drafting strategy. Google "H2H fantasy baseball drafting strategy cafe" without the quotes and there's 588 results from the Cafe alone.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby deanpapelbon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:49 pm

right on, thanks. I just realized that the resource I came across earlier was the ADP from CBS, which provides different results for H2H and roto.
deanpapelbon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby socceryank » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:48 pm

I've played H2H for several years now, and I will typically use roto rankings.
A couple of things to consider:
1. Streaky players like Howard and Dunn can kill you in H2H.
2. Favor power guys over pure speed guys.
3. Drafting a balanced team is extremely important in H2H (it is in roto as well, but being balanced in H2H will keep you competitive every week).
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:35 am

CBS has the only H2H specific rankings I have come across. The advice in above posts is sound. I'll just add one thing:

If there isnt an IP limit going with quantity over quality at SP CAN be effective. Not saying you don't snag a good SP but you can afford to wait and look for values if you use this strategy....if there is no limit on roster moves you can also stream.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:26 pm

socceryank wrote:1. Streaky players like Howard and Dunn can kill you in H2H.

Likewise, said players can be lightning in a bottle for any given week. You're right though, proneness to streakiness than the average hitter should be a factor, but it shouldn't decide things given every hitter in H2H has some degree of streakiness.

socceryank wrote:3. Drafting a balanced team is extremely important in H2H (it is in roto as well, but being balanced in H2H will keep you competitive every week).

Not really. H2H is a flexible format where you don't necessarily have to be balanced, but rather you can concentrate on certain categories where you're not likely to have much lag in.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby hot4tx » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:15 pm

Most H2H roto leagues either have a high max IP per week or don't have one at all, and use other rules (total add/drop, etc) to balance out streaming. Because of this elite and ace pitchers are devalued quite a bit, and getting a deeper staff of good pitchers makes up for not having an elite. Basically you aren't having to get maximum stats per IP like you do in roto, as you can start more pitchers than your foe and best him (however you don't want a ton of #4 and #5 types as starting too many of them kill your ratios).
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:40 pm

Yeah I gotta disagree with the balance comment too. In H2H a better strategy is to try to dominate in a couple and be competitive in the rest. I like to dominate HR/RBI/K and be just adequate in the rest of the hitting stats as an example.

In general H2H favors hitting over pitching even more than roto does though you need more pitching depth in H2H since you will likely end up with more innnings than in a roto league.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers