Curtis Granderson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Curtis Granderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Curtis Granderson

Postby YerInUrine » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Why isn't there any love for Curtis Granderson this year? I remember last year, he was arguably a late second rounder being compared to Markakis. Now he is projected to go in the mid 4th round, with slightly inferior numbers that the year before. Most of his stats in 2008 fell a little off the mark from the year before, but he also had 59 fewer ABs. My main concerns are his drop in steals from the year prior, and modest RBI totals, but his HRs were on par from the year before even with fewer ABs. His run totals could also get a boost this year if Detroit's offense keeps it together for a whole season. Could Granderson be a steal in the 4th-5th round, and give you a nice 120 runs with 25ish HRs and 20 SBs to go with a .300ish avg? Is his value tied to his steals because he bats leadoff? What if he were to bat 3rd, would he then be compared to Markakis again?

What are your projections on him?
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Curtis Granderson

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:47 pm

I like him a lot. His power stayed and he improved his K/BB in the latter half. I'm not sure if he will run as much but 15 seems pretty reasonable. He still can't hit lefties but if he gets better then I can see him becoming a top 20 player.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:56 pm

20SB's is a little much (not that he doesn't have the ability...they just don't green light him that much), but I definitely see around 25HR. He should be among the league leaders in runs scored with a decent average. If I had a pick near the end of the 4th round/beginning of the 5th, I think he would have ended up on my team. I was drafting 12th of 12, so I knew he wasn't going to fall to me in the 5th. Maybe in my draft on the 22nd.

Edit: I had my rounds mixed up... !+)
Last edited by fezzik on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:05 pm

i like granderson a good bit but i dont think anyone was, or should have been, drafting him in the 2nd round last year.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Leyland mentioned that he would like him to run more...he said last year was partially not giving him the green light and partially Curtis being hesitant...i'd say 15-20 bags is reasonable to go along with 25 HR, 100+ runs and .290 AVG. not sure about his RBI's with the 3 turds they have at the bottom of the order though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby horatio » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:09 pm

Overall I just don't see what differentiates him from other 4-5 round guys. Is he really so much better than Alex Rios, McLouth, Hart, Victorino, Ellsbury or even Abreau?
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby YerInUrine » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:42 pm

horatio wrote:Overall I just don't see what differentiates him from other 4-5 round guys. Is he really so much better than Alex Rios, McLouth, Hart, Victorino, Ellsbury or even Abreau?

Theres too many 20/20 guys. Who has the most potencial to break out and do 30/30, or 30/20?
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:43 pm

horatio wrote:Overall I just don't see what differentiates him from other 4-5 round guys. Is he really so much better than Alex Rios, McLouth, Hart, Victorino, Ellsbury or even Abreau?

i think (aside from Abreu) he's the only one that's going to potentially hit .300 and score 100 runs and give some decent RBI totals
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

i think (aside from Abreu) he's the only one that's going to potentially hit .300 and score 100 runs and give some decent RBI totals

Plus he's like 40 years younger than Abreu, and has improved every year. I focused on him in my 30 Teams in 30 Days article that comes out in a week or so, so check that out.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby High and Inside » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:08 pm

Here's the problem with Grandy....it all starts with one of the worst managers in the game.

Jim Leyland has seen the game pass him by, he has no idea how to handle players like Grandy, Sheff, his pitching staff etc, etc. I could go on all night about hom much hate I have for Leyland but let's focus on the topic.

It is a well known that he struggles hitting southpaws....so what's the Marlboro Man do for the last few years...he limits his AB's against lefties... Grandy came very highly regarded and the only way he gets better is being in the lineup everyday vs southpaws....finally ol senile Jim keeps him in on a regular basis and Curtis hits about 60 pts higher than his lifetime avg after some playing time.

WOW...lightbulb... play the kid and he'll only get better. He has tremendous upside and is a steal in the 4th or 5th...he'll see even more AB's against lefties this year and with such a talent you can expect him to improve.

As for his SB's being down.... ol man JIm having no idea how to manage his team...Gawd I was praying for them to fire this twat after last years disaster but sure enough I'll have to endure one more year. I expect him to run quite a bit more this year as well.

I could easily see him winding up a Top 10 OF and an outside shot at a top 5 with a few more SB's.
High and Inside
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers