guess the pitcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

guess the pitcher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby mweir145 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Johan benefits a lot by pitching in the worse league of the two. Wasn't his ERA like 2.50 last year?
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Greinke also gave up a lot more hits, and you can't ascribe the entire BAA difference to BABIP.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Greinke also gave up a lot more hits, and you can't ascribe the entire BAA difference to BABIP.


Yes Greinke gave up more hits because Santana pitches for a better team in a better park and league.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Yoda wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Greinke also gave up a lot more hits, and you can't ascribe the entire BAA difference to BABIP.


Yes Greinke gave up more hits because Santana pitches for a better team in a better park and league.

Image


The strawman wants a hug.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Greinke also gave up a lot more hits, and you can't ascribe the entire BAA difference to BABIP.


Yes Greinke gave up more hits because Santana pitches for a better team in a better park and league.

Image


The strawman wants a hug.


:-L
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:09 pm

Yoda wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Yes Greinke gave up more hits because Santana pitches for a better team in a better park and league.

Image


The strawman wants a hug.


:-L


you like that he's hung to his knees, huh :-D :-b
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

C: 7.27 K/9 , 2.58 BB/9 , 2.82 K/BB , 0.52 HR/9 , 0.297 BABIP , 71.00% LOB% , 3.28 FIP
D: 7.34 K/9 , 2.63 BB/9 , 2.79 K/BB , 0.69 HR/9 , 0.299 BABIP , 76.10% LOB% , 3.44 FIP
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby jcook3127 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Is D Webb??
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 646
Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Just keep in mind that FIP isn't really a very good stat. A pitcher like Danks who had a 3.44 FIP but 0.69 HR/9 had a 3.98 xFIP. HR/9 in general is a weak stat for a single season because of how much variation it shows year to year, HR/FB is much more stable centering around 10% for most players.

A pitcher like Webb who is the other guy had a 3.46 xFIP because his low HR/9 is more of a product of insanely high GB% and is sustainable.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: guess the pitcher

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:55 pm

Ender wrote:Just keep in mind that FIP isn't really a very good stat. A pitcher like Danks who had a 3.44 FIP but 0.69 HR/9 had a 3.98 xFIP. HR/9 in general is a weak stat for a single season because of how much variation it shows year to year, HR/FB is much more stable centering around 10% for most players.

A pitcher like Webb who is the other guy had a 3.46 xFIP because his low HR/9 is more of a product of insanely high GB% and is sustainable.


I know. FIP really measures the results whereas xFIP measures expected results. I think it is fun to compare some of the top pitchers like Santana/Webb with pitchers who are viewed with far less enthusiasm.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact