Online auction etiquette? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Online auction etiquette?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Online auction etiquette?

Postby tdmel30 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:24 am

Last night for the first time I took part in an online auction. There were a mix of players present and some having the computer bid for them. I have been involved in auction leagues for the last 10 years, but they have always had every owner present. Part of my strategy is to nominate players that I know will go for more than I will pay for them in an effort to use up other teams money and roster spaces. However, I was told last night during the auction that I was being stupid. I should nominate middle of the road guys and let the computers fill rosters. Thus leaving fewer teams to bid on the better players. I guess I'd rather treat it like a real auction as if everyone was present. Am I wrong? The computers still had to pay for the players they got and any owner could have outbid them. Have I broken the unwritten code of online auctions?
tdmel30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Online auction etiquette?

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:25 am

tdmel30 wrote:Last night for the first time I took part in an online auction. There were a mix of players present and some having the computer bid for them. I have been involved in auction leagues for the last 10 years, but they have always had every owner present. Part of my strategy is to nominate players that I know will go for more than I will pay for them in an effort to use up other teams money and roster spaces. However, I was told last night during the auction that I was being stupid. I should nominate middle of the road guys and let the computers fill rosters. Thus leaving fewer teams to bid on the better players. I guess I'd rather treat it like a real auction as if everyone was present. Am I wrong? The computers still had to pay for the players they got and any owner could have outbid them. Have I broken the unwritten code of online auctions?

I have no problem with what you were doing.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:16 am

Yeah man, you should have definitely nominated middle of the road guys and settled for a middle of the road finish.

Chances are you were nominating players they wanted. Tell em to build a bridge ;)
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:54 am

tdmel30 wrote:Last night for the first time I took part in an online auction. There were a mix of players present and some having the computer bid for them. I have been involved in auction leagues for the last 10 years, but they have always had every owner present. Part of my strategy is to nominate players that I know will go for more than I will pay for them in an effort to use up other teams money and roster spaces. However, I was told last night during the auction that I was being stupid. I should nominate middle of the road guys and let the computers fill rosters. Thus leaving fewer teams to bid on the better players. I guess I'd rather treat it like a real auction as if everyone was present. Am I wrong? The computers still had to pay for the players they got and any owner could have outbid them. Have I broken the unwritten code of online auctions?

There are several strategies for owners to use during an auction, and there is nothing wrong with the strategy that you used. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:42 pm

So your league-mates were saying, "Let the computers ruin the season for the guys who missed the draft", huh.

I don't see that as being superior etiquette.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Matthias wrote:So your league-mates were saying, "Let the computers ruin the season for the guys who missed the draft", huh.

I don't see that as being superior etiquette.

Exactly.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:35 pm

To address online auction etiquette I'll say this...

I've taken place in two online auctions, and in both someone nominated Ryan Braun the pitcher as their first pick. In one league it didn't work, in the other someone paid $25 for him.

So really, it's bad etiquette because they don't agree with you or more likely, it doesn't benefit them.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby JTWood » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Daullaz? Is that you?

Not only is that a viable strategy, but I see it used every year. It's quite frustrating if you're on the other side, but it's a good strategy nonetheless.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:38 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I have no problem with what you were doing.

I sent him a PM... He told me that he forgot to mention that he was also slow-bidding against himself just to drag things out.

}:-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers