My first ever auction draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My first ever auction draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My first ever auction draft

Postby ThatDude » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Full disclosure -- this is just a mock I did, but I could certainly use some feedback as things went horribly wrong fairly quick.

Our league will be a standard 5x5 league, $260 cap. However, instead of the MI/CI/Util spots, we'll just have an extra OF spot (4 total) and an IF spot. It's the first year of a keeper league, so I was kinda drafting with that in mind, especially towards the end (Adenhart and Sheets). But really, I was just flying blind without much of a plan in place.

C - Wieters $4
1B - Tex $27
2B - Kinsler $21
3B - Wright $34
SS - Reyes $30
OF - Sizemore $29
OF - Markakis $20
OF - Rios $17
OF - Quentin $13
OF - Winn $1
MI - Theriot $3
CI - Arod $19
UTIL - Nick Johnson $1

P - Gallardo $13
P - Kazmir $13
P - Jurrjens $2
P - Smoltz $2
P - Hughes $1
P - Samardzja $1
P - Balfour $2
P - Lyon $2
P - Adenhart $1

BN - Kotchman $1
BN - Cantu $2
BN - Sheets $1

Offensively, I like the hell out of my team. I did forget to grab another catcher to hold the spot until Wieters comes up, but oh well.

However on the pitching side, it's just brutally ugly. Almost entirely filled with guys that fit under my maximum allowable bid at the time, which was clearly quite meager.

Aside from obviously spending way too much money in the early stages, what did I do wrong here? Did at least spend an appropriate amount on guys like Wright, Reyes, Sizemore, etc...or did I overspend individually as well as cumulatively? I spent every cent of that $260, and I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

A team like this won't win anything by giving away every pitching category, no matter how well it does on the lumber side, and I certainly don't want to end up with a similar problem when the real thing goes down.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team