H2H Strategy? Have I been gloing about it wrong? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Strategy? Have I been gloing about it wrong?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: H2H Strategy? Have I been gloing about it wrong?

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:47 pm

4Pack wrote:Been playing H2H (normally standard 5X5) for 8 years. While I go into each draft prepared for the most part...I normally do not pay a ton of attention to projections. I would say I draft based on 70% name value/30% projections. My standard routine has been to draft offense the first 5-6 rounds...then draft SP's for the next 3-4 rounds. It has worked well and I have won my league the past 2 seasons (regular season and WS).

Well...I am more determined than ever to go for the threepeat. Soooo...I went back to the past 2 season and figured out my team season average's per category (i.e. 10 batters..250 HR's total..25 HR per batter average, etc. etc.). I then have proceeded to do a few mock drafts with those numbers in mind as to what I want my team's final numbers too look like.

To my suprise...when I draft based more or less a 40/60 split name value/projections...I have been able to improve on the average numbers from years past while still drafting a couple stud SP's with the first 5 picks (drafting SP's in the first 5 rounds had been almost taboo for me).

Do you think that putting more emphasis on projections is the way to go? On paper...it looks great...but...it makes me nervous considering I have had success with the way I have been doing it until this season.

Any thoughts?

If you are winning then I'd try to stick with what is working for you. Every league is different and manager dynamics can vary greatly.

I think name value can be valuable especially in the later rounds. Let's say you draft Chris Carpenter and Kyle Lohse with your pick 200 and 201. Luckily for you, both pitchers on May 31st have phenomenal numbers and you want to trade one to shore up your offense. Which pitcher do you think will get you a higher return?

In the end, every league is different so as long as you know yours then you should do fine.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Strategy? Have I been gloing about it wrong?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:59 pm

Yoda wrote:I think name value can be valuable especially in the later rounds. Let's say you draft Chris Carpenter and Kyle Lohse with your pick 200 and 201. Luckily for you, both pitchers on May 31st have phenomenal numbers and you want to trade one to shore up your offense. Which pitcher do you think will get you a higher return?

I don't get it. Which one has had sustained top level success in the past and which one hasn't had an ERA lower than 4.18 besides last year or a WHIP below 1.27 ever? :-S

This works better for hyped rookies like Cueto last year, but if they're so hyped they'd be drafted earlier than they should anyway. My policy is never to draft a player based on trade value, since there's no guarantee you'll be able to trade them and get fair value in return. Only if you inherit a dynasty/keeper team or if you for some reason join an autodraft league should you have players drafted on name value.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers