Which of these OFs has the highest ceiling this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which of these OFs has the highest ceiling this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which of these OFs has the highest ceiling this year?

Postby j24jags » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Yoda wrote:
j24jags wrote:
Yoda wrote:What is up with all the Werth love this year?

People see 24 HRs and 20 SBs in 400 ABs and assume he can repeat that and keep that up over 550 ABs...

Call me a nonbeliever but I'll take the under in both HR/SB.... I see a 30 yo career backup, platoon guy who hit abnormally high # of HR against lefties. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise?

I'm with you Yoda, I'm simply playing the devil's advocate O:-)
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:24 pm

i would wonder about playing time for Span in the crowded Twins outfield.
Dukes probually has more potential, but the Nationals outfield is crowded too.
Werth had the better numbers last season, but he could just as easily end up in a platoon with Jenkins only playing against LH pitching. last season Werth numbers vs RH- .255 AVG/ .360 OBP/ .407 SLG/ .767 OPS/. he had 16 of his 24 HR against LH pitching. but 13 of his 20 SB against RH pitching.
if it was me i might be searching who else is available with good potential, but right now of the 3 mentioned i think Werth is probually the safer bet.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 517)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Dukes
Werth

huge gap

Span

Though I'd probably take Werth over Dukes too because I just don't trust Dukes to get the playtime. Werth has always had 20+ HR pop, he just never got the playtime to show it mostly because of injuries.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Dukes
Werth
Span
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby superslugger616 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:07 pm

I have Dukes' older brother Milton on my team too. Hopefully, when one is hurt the other is playing
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby San D » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:24 pm

Yoda wrote:
j24jags wrote:
Yoda wrote:What is up with all the Werth love this year?

People see 24 HRs and 20 SBs in 400 ABs and assume he can repeat that and keep that up over 550 ABs...

Call me a nonbeliever but I'll take the under in both HR/SB.... I see a 30 yo career backup, platoon guy who hit abnormally high # of HR against lefties. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise?

I'll try. Werth obviously had a unusually good year last year in the power and speed departments. However, he has shown this ability in his younger years (2004 for power and 2005 for speed). He has spent a lot of time out with injuries, so one could make the argument that this could be his age 27 development year. He has managed to keep a good OBP and OK power versus righties the last couple of years so the manager said he won't sit more than 15 or so games this year. He has good pedigree as a first rounder and might even have better skills than a similar 6-5" player being drafted ahead of him (Corey Hart). I could see an upside of 30-30 with the increased PT and no injuries.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:37 pm

San D wrote:
Yoda wrote:
j24jags wrote:People see 24 HRs and 20 SBs in 400 ABs and assume he can repeat that and keep that up over 550 ABs...

I'll try. Werth obviously had a unusually good year last year in the power and speed departments. However, he has shown this ability in his younger years (2004 for power and 2005 for speed). He has spent a lot of time out with injuries, so one could make the argument that this could be his age 27 development year. He has managed to keep a good OBP and OK power versus righties the last couple of years so the manager said he won't sit more than 15 or so games this year. He has good pedigree as a first rounder and might even have better skills than a similar 6-5" player being drafted ahead of him (Corey Hart). I could see an upside of 30-30 with the increased PT and no injuries.

Werth has also had bad luck with injuries (i.e. getting hit in the wrist a couple of times). I don't see Werth touching 30/30 and 25/25 is his absolute ceiling.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Just to caution, rotoworld reports that Span is 3 for 25 this spring. He's still worth looking at of course, but may start the year in a platoon role.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:54 pm

San D wrote:I'll try. Werth obviously had a unusually good year last year in the power and speed departments. However, he has shown this ability in his younger years (2004 for power and 2005 for speed). He has spent a lot of time out with injuries, so one could make the argument that this could be his age 27 development year. He has managed to keep a good OBP and OK power versus righties the last couple of years so the manager said he won't sit more than 15 or so games this year. He has good pedigree as a first rounder and might even have better skills than a similar 6-5" player being drafted ahead of him (Corey Hart). I could see an upside of 30-30 with the increased PT and no injuries.

Ok but staying health is a skill and he hasn't been very good at it. Chances are, his body will breakdown more as he gets older.

What are the chances of him riding the pine if he doesn't perform well?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby superslugger616 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:04 pm

Yoda wrote:
San D wrote:I'll try. Werth obviously had a unusually good year last year in the power and speed departments. However, he has shown this ability in his younger years (2004 for power and 2005 for speed). He has spent a lot of time out with injuries, so one could make the argument that this could be his age 27 development year. He has managed to keep a good OBP and OK power versus righties the last couple of years so the manager said he won't sit more than 15 or so games this year. He has good pedigree as a first rounder and might even have better skills than a similar 6-5" player being drafted ahead of him (Corey Hart). I could see an upside of 30-30 with the increased PT and no injuries.

Ok but staying health is a skill and he hasn't been very good at it. Chances are, his body will breakdown more as he gets older.

What are the chances of him riding the pine if he doesn't perform well?

He'll get a good long look, but if he consistently struggles they won't hesitate to put Jenkins in. I can't believe he got a 2 year $13 million contract before last season %-6
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers