Roto??? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto??? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto??? WHIR

Postby AwalKB » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:33 pm

So I have a solid group of friends who have been playing H2H fantasy baseball for about 3-4 years or something like that and I've been pretty successful in it with streaming pitchers almost daily and what-not. Now all of a sudden they want to do a Roto league!! I'm not sure what they stats and such are and I know it's a little late in the drafting season but here's my main question:

What strategy would you suggest(/do you use) in drafting for a roto league??

And/or,

What type of strategy would you suggest in season for a roto league??

Thanks in advance to all who answer!!
AwalKB
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roto??? WHIR

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:37 pm

WHIR? If I answer this, what sort of help will you offer in return? !+)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby j24jags » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:15 pm

One very important thing to pay attention to in roto is IP Limit. In H2H you can stream starters and just plug in all your SPs to win Ws/Ks and if you trust your closers, you will win 3-2 in pitching categories every week by adding/dropping or just using more pitchers than the other team. In roto, you have a max. of anywhere from 1200-1400 IP depending on your league (make sure you check this and know this!!!), and you want to be as efficient as possible. Quality over quantity. Pay attention to pitchers K/9 if you want to be near the top of the standings in strikeouts in roto. For example, Jake Peavy's 166 Ks in 174 IP are much more valuable than Halladay's 206 Ks in 246 IPs. You can have a closer or MR throw 70 IPs and rack up 70 Ks along with Peavy and you have 30 more Ks than just Halladay.

As for hitters, streakiness won't hurt you in roto nearly as much as it will in H2H. Let's take Jose Reyes for example. Out of your first round pick, you want him to contribute as much as possible to win you the league obviously. Reyes is one of the streakiest first round picks there is:
April .240 BA, 2 HRs, 6 SBs
May .316 BA, 5 HRs, 11 SBs
July .336 BA, 3 HRs, 7 SBs
September .243 BA, 3 HRs, 10 SBs

I just pulled out 4 months of Reyes' splits from last year. In H2H your team would have suffered badly during April, would have picked up bigtime from May-July, then would have struggled again in September. Roto saves you these headaches because you just worry about the final product.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:25 pm

you probably wont be able to resort to gimmicks to win in Roto
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby j24jags » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:26 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:you probably wont be able to resort to gimmicks to win in Roto

Ditto, roto requires much more strategy/planning/"skill"
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby horatio » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:49 pm

you probably wont be able to resort to gimmicks to win in Roto

Definitely not, but there is one - by the last day of the season try to have ONLY 1 inning left, and 1 OF start left. Obviously there's some risk there, but theoretically as long as you have 1 inning left, on the last day you can start as many pitchers as you can pick up and you'll compile stats for all of them, same with OF, as long as you have 1 start left, you can start all 3 OF spots and compile stats for all 3.

Yeah it's a little shady but it's better to be the one counting your money than being the one crying because somebody else used a shady tactic to beat you.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AwalKB » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:38 pm

JTWood wrote:WHIR? If I answer this, what sort of help will you offer in return? !+)

Well it might be a crazy idea but maybe if you posted a link to say a question you have in another part of these forums or your begging people to analyze you team or such like many people do (myself included) then I don't think it's so ridiculous for me to add that to the title
AwalKB
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AwalKB » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks to all who answered it'll take some adjusting in my mind and I'll certainly be more interested in streaky offensive players this time around.
AwalKB
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 am

Just be glad you finally gave up on daily H2H which is the lamest setup you can play unless you come up with some hard and fast rules for dealing with pitch streaming and sitting.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers