AL / NL only strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL / NL only strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AL / NL only strategy

Postby Kraftwerk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:05 pm

This will be my first attempt at a single league only format. So, apart from ensuring i dont try and draft a guy from the wrong league ;-) .............. is there any other helpful tips/strategies, do's and dont's etc?

Many thanks ;-D
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AL / NL only strategy

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Depth, depth, depth. Keep a very close eye on ST lineups and rotations, and any players that are struggling during the season, because they may be due for a replacement. Also, since there's less players available at each position, position eligibility is higher priority.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:31 pm

I did my first NL-only league last year (11 team, 14 hitters 9 pitchers, no bench), and I found that it was much easier to find a decent SP on the WW then any competent hitter. You definitely need to pay more attention to the ST battles like the previous poster said.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby neoforce » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:43 pm

If you are one of the people who always waits as long as you can to get the value closers, you may want to tweak that strategy. The pool of closers is much, much smaller and that has a huge impact on there value and where they go in the draft. Do the math. With 12 fantasy teams and 16 NL MLB teams, closers are hard to find. I'm not saying draft the top guys, but if you always wait to the bitter end, you probably want to adjust that.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:27 pm

im just now finishing a Nl only slow draft

ditto on the closers. make sure and get at least 2. try and get some before a run happens...as they go quickly. and id even suggest getting at least one potential closer if you have any P spots to go along w the RP spots

i wish i would have grabbed a SP ace. there just arent too many aces after a good little run. so to piggyback on the Sp comment above, id say grab an ace and then load up on batters/closers..leaving the later rounds to fill your roster. there is always SP depth

i found 2B and 3B really shallow. i jumped on Uggla bc the drop off after him is huge

steals are more rare also. if get a decent steal guy early so you dont come out of round 5 without any at all like i did and have to take willy t and his .250 avg

so after writing this is guess i could have just summarized it in one sentence...anything is is normally kind of shallow is now really shallow
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers