Really could Use Input *WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Really could Use Input *WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Really could Use Input *WHIR

Postby Patch-SNU » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:03 am

10 team H2H 6x5 (with H) non-keeper
Drafted in the 5 spot, league of friends with a $20 buy-in so i could always use some advice
I went with a young team high ceiling strategy, feel like im lacking a little power, but besides that and the fact that one team desided to whore elite closers I think im in good shape, but you guys be the judges.

C-Sandoval
1B- Morneau
2B - Kendrick
SS - Hardy
3B - Wright
OF - BJ Upton
OF - Victorino
OF - McLouth
Util - Bruce
Util - Votto
BN - Wieters
BN - DeRosa
BN - Nady
BN - Maybin

SP - Hamels
SP - Halladay
RP - Marmol
RP - Wilson
P - Ervin Santana
P - Price
P - Josh Johnson
BN - Devine
Patch-SNU
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Really could Use Input *WHIR

Postby jmurphy_j » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:43 am

I'm really having trouble finding something to crticize. No obvious holes and great balance!

In terms of power, I don't think you need to worry. Wright, Morneau, Hardy (good power for a SS), and Bruce all have pop....plus Upton, Votto and McLouth don't hurt, either. You also have good speed with Upton and Victorino (Kendrick and McLouth also will steal a few bases you you). I think you are going to be fine in the avg. and hits department, too. You aren't going to have the most powerful team, or the fastest, or have the best average....but you are going to be strong in all three areas.

In terms of pitching, your closer situation is just fine. They aren't the most spectacular RP's, but a good group. I like the strategy of waiting to get your closers. Any weakness in your closers is more than offset by the resulting strength of your hitters and SP's. Besides, you can always find extra saves off the waiver wire mid-season. Your only concern is that there is a small chance Marmol or Devine could lose the closing jobs before opening day. So watch those guys close in Spring Training and be prepared to react if needed.

I like your starters, too. Hamels and Halladay are a great 1 -2 punch. Johnson/Price/Santana is a solid supporting cast that has some real upside.....but also has some risk. The risk really comes down to Santana's injury situation and the fact that Price is still unproven. But your top 2 SP's are so strong I wouldn't be too worried about it.

The only change I can suggest is possibly dropping Maybin for another pitcher. Even though I like Maybin, your hitters...even the bench players...are strong enough that I would consider him expendable. If there is another potential closer available (like Zeigler or Lyon) I would drop Maybin to pick the closer up as an insurance policy. Even if there are no available closers, I might still drop Maybin for the right SP. Obviously, as soon as you can put Santana on the DL, grab another pitcher.

Overall, great draft. By the way, I think your catcher combo of Sandoval and Weiters is the ideal situation (even though I only have been able to pull it off on one of my teams)...especially if you didn't have to overpay for Weiters.

Good Luck!

Please help:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=371325
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Emerald8h » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 pm

I think your team's pretty good. You're not lacking any power. Since it's H2H I wouldn't really worry about closers. I think you need at least one more mid level SP though. Your two aces are good. In a H2H league, I like to run with 6 SP. Two aces, two solid predictable middle road guys, and two low buy high risk/upside guys. I think with Santana's recent injury you should look for another SP.
Emerald8h
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gore51 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Here are my problems with your team:
your back-end starts, Price and Johnson. I have to many question marks regarding those guys playing/injury status'. Middle Infield is another problem area, I like both the guys when they are healthy, but they get injuried a lot.

Things I like:
Your OF, good mix of good players and youth.
Your 1B and C situations, all around solid.

Help?
viewtopic.php?t=371506
gore51
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Mighty Trow » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:58 am

gore51 wrote:
Things I like:
Your OF, good mix of good players and youth.
Your 1B and C situations, all around solid.

ditto. also, your depth on the bench.

i'd try to find another starter though. Once Weiters hits the Show you can possibly move Sandoval and someone else (Nady if he starts off hot) for a steady if unspectacular option

thank for your help with mine
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team