Just Drafted...Yahoo Winners League...WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Just Drafted...Yahoo Winners League...WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just Drafted...Yahoo Winners League...WHIR

Postby jmurphy_j » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:11 am

Let me know what you think.

Standard 5x5 Roto. I had 12th pick in a 12 team league.

Starters:

c: Ramon Hernandez (17)
1b: Mark Teixeira (1)
2b: Chase Utley (2)
3b: Chris Davis (6)
ss: J.J. Hardy (10)
of: Carl Crawford (3)
of: Ichiro (4)
of: Hunter Pence (9)
u: Joey Votto (8)

Bench:

of: Lastings Milledge (12)
of: Justin Upton (16)
2b: Rickie Weeks (18)
1b: Konerko (20)

Pitchers:

sp: Chad Billingsly (5)
sp: James Shields (7)
sp: Adam Wainwright (11)
sp: Scott Baker (12)
sp: Kevin Slowey (13)
sp: Justin Duscherer (20)

rp: Joel Hanrahan (15)

For the record, I did not intentionally punt closers. But, whenever I got ready to grab one, there was a huge run between my picks that wiped out the tier of closers I was targeting. This happened over and over again throughout the draft so...since I hate overpaying for closeres....i basically got skunked.

I plan on using trades and/or the waiver-wire to at least bring me to the middle of the pack in the saves category....I will only officially punt saves as a last resort if my best efforts fail.

Thanks for your input!

I will WHIR.....just post a link with your response.

EDIT: I have no intention to trade any of my top players for a closer...at least not pre-season. Right now I'm going to target guys like Francisco, lindstrom or Devine with Weeks, J. Upton, Konerko and/or Duscherer
Last edited by jmurphy_j on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just Drafted...Yahoo Winners League...WHIR

Postby The River » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 am

At this point, If I were you, it is time to punt saves. Instead, focus on bringing down your WHIP and ERA by acquiring the best non closer relief pitchers in the game, serving as an elite "RP" just without saves. Your lineup is pretty much nasty (good kind lol) and has no true weakness that may pose a problem for your lineup. I like your rotation, it is not great, but it is definetley solid and will compliment your insane lineup well, placing you high (if all goes according to plan) within your league standings.
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jmurphy_j » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:31 am

bump....WHIR....Thanks
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 pm

I wouldn't Punt saves completely (I never think it's a good idea punting a category, but it's only one category..)

Keep an eye on the more volatile closer situations, Seattle, A's, even Colorado... you could very well have three closers on your team before you know it

I must admit though, you could trade away your closer and mid-tier starter of yours for another nasty arm... shore up your era and whip...

Line up is phenomenal
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby karl0528 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:34 pm

I agree your line up is pretty solid, I would try to trade ichiro and maybe a another bat for a solid RP or someone who can get you some saves (I do like hanahran though but I'm not sold on the nats even though the addition of dunn should make them better) also I think konerko should have a decent year after a crappy '08 so he might be someone to keep an eye on and maybe use as a utl or 1b here or there. comment my post: viewtopic.php?t=371476
karl0528
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Patch-SNU » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:46 pm

I agree with the others in the sense that there are no real worries with your team as of the pre-season, but some improvements I would consider are trading Ichiro, im avoiding him like the plague this year, hes due to dissapoint. Also, since you dont have the closers, you are punting SVs, so in order to counter this I would shore up on either long relief pitchers like Kuo or maybe setup men like Putz and Seito to reduce ERA and WHIP. Another possibility is to get rid of Duchscerer or boring SP for a high K rate SP, and go for the K category and W category and split ERA or WHIP.
Also, i'm big on Davis and Votto this year. The kids can play.
Patch-SNU
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby scott8534 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:10 pm

Ichiro and Crawdaddy in the OF? That might be a bit much in the SB department...now, if Ortiz produces like he did before, it might work out. I am not convinced that Ortiz will ever be back to the way he is.

I agree with the previous comments.....can't afford to punt a category....and at least Hanrahan has the job in Washington

I would try and trade either Craw or Ichiro for a nice OF/RP combo....both craw and ichiro have enough worth you should make out nicely
scott8534
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby scott8534 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Woops...not sure why I said Ortiz(prob another team I looked at)

I like Votto a lot, but think you need more power in your OF....i would never have Craw and Ichiro on the same squad
scott8534
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team