100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Chamberlain Overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Chamberlain Overrated?

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Yoda wrote:
rjforlife wrote:
Yoda wrote:The shoulder injury was a big red flag for me. He is so young and hasn't pitched a full season yet.

Its true he hasn't pitched a full season yet but every great pitcher was in that situation once. I am not just handing him the greatness title but the talent is quite high with kid and he has shown in his 118 IP just how incredibly dominating he can be. Pitching for the yanks helps too, as although they weren't great last season, he is going to win a lot of the games he pitches if he continues only giving up 1 or 2 runs every 6 innings.....

I'm more worried about his shoulder injury TBH.

Do you think that shoulder injury was primarily caused by the Yankees jerking him back and forth between the bullpen and rotation, preventing him from building the appropriate arm strength to avoid pitching related injuries unless he's just a Ben Sheets or Rich Harden type, or not?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Do you think that shoulder injury was primarily caused by the Yankees jerking him back and forth between the bullpen and rotation, preventing him from building the appropriate arm strength to avoid pitching related injuries unless he's just a Ben Sheets or Rich Harden type, or not?

For the record I don't think going from relief to the rotation had anything to do with the injury.

He awkwardly fell and rolled over over his shoulder on a throw to 2nd before leaving the game with a shoulder strain. However, he has had some injury issues in college and the Yanks were very cautious with him (as they were with Hughes). Some people think he may have mechanical issues as well.

Pitching is so flaky to begin with even with a highly touted prospect who does everything correctly, stays healthy and has an opportunity, etc. I just think that he has a lot going against him at the moment especially if he falters early as a starter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby californiasunshine » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:51 pm

hybrid wrote:Eh, I won't take him anywhere close to where he is going. He has talent, but call me bullish on him ever reaching it. Never having pitched more than 118IP is big part of it.

you mean bearish right....
californiasunshine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm pretty high on him this year. I do think he has some work to do before he validates all of the hype though.
In my only league so far, I could not pass him up at where I got him, as I went hitting early and often. I may have one of the most risk/reward rotations that I have ever had! :-o }:-) ;-D
Lackey
Joba
Harden
Baker
Dempster
Floyd
Gallagher

Rivera
Capps
Balfour
Kuo

Makes me :-o and :-L just typing them out. !+)
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:05 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I have

Gallardo
Greinke
Vazquez
Cain
Harden
Wainwright
Chamberlain
Nolasco
C. Zambrano
Bedard

I meant at any level, ever... Bedard is the only one who fits that category and we've seen how reliable his career has been so far.

Not to mention your wrong about over half on that list... Gallardo, Greinke, Cain, Harden, Vazquez, & Zambrano all had pitched that much in the majors by the time they were 23. And how can you compare Chamberlain to himself as proof?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:08 pm

californiasunshine wrote:
hybrid wrote:Eh, I won't take him anywhere close to where he is going. He has talent, but call me bullish on him ever reaching it. Never having pitched more than 118IP is big part of it.

you mean bearish right....

Ouch you caught me. !+)

Knew I should of paid more attention to marketing terms... :-°
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby JEH » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:44 pm

I think some may be projected his reliever achieved rates over starter innings . . . which might be optimistic.

There seem to be an unusually large number of high-upside pitchers around this year so, personally, I'll be value shopping that group.
JEH
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby northjersey78 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:46 pm

I still say he should be in the bullpen and Hughes should have the #5 spot in the rotation.
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 pm

JEH wrote:I think some may be projected his reliever achieved rates over starter innings . . . which might be optimistic.

There seem to be an unusually large number of high-upside pitchers around this year so, personally, I'll be value shopping that group.

Some are mixing in relief/starter numbers since there is a chance that he may end up in the pen due to various reasons.

There is always a large group of high upside pitchers. You just have to pick two or three of them from the middle to the end.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 pm

northjersey78 wrote:I still say he should be in the bullpen and Hughes should have the #5 spot in the rotation.

Please let's not start this silliness again. Please.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers