Is Chamberlain Overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Chamberlain Overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Chamberlain Overrated?

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm

rjforlife wrote:
Yoda wrote:The shoulder injury was a big red flag for me. He is so young and hasn't pitched a full season yet.

Its true he hasn't pitched a full season yet but every great pitcher was in that situation once. I am not just handing him the greatness title but the talent is quite high with kid and he has shown in his 118 IP just how incredibly dominating he can be. Pitching for the yanks helps too, as although they weren't great last season, he is going to win a lot of the games he pitches if he continues only giving up 1 or 2 runs every 6 innings.....

I'm more worried about his shoulder injury TBH.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:19 pm

He is being drafted ahead of: Gallardo, Wainright, Nolasco, Vazquez, Greinke, Josh Johnson, Danks, Baker and Slowey.

I would definitely take Gallardo and Vazquez before him but I could see taking him over most of the other names on that list. My pitching rankings aren't really finalized so not sure just yet and Joba is one of those guys that could change significantly based on spring training.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:24 pm

I have him after Gallardo, Wainwright, and Grienke but wouldn't fault anyone for taking him earlier than them based on risk tolerance.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 147)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:31 pm

hot4tx wrote:I have him after Gallardo, Wainwright, and Grienke but wouldn't fault anyone for taking him earlier than them based on risk tolerance.

Same. I like Vazques, Nolasco and Johnson but they aren't exactly sure things either.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
hot4tx wrote:I have him after Gallardo, Wainwright, and Grienke but wouldn't fault anyone for taking him earlier than them based on risk tolerance.

Same. I like Vazques, Nolasco and Johnson but they aren't exactly sure things either.

I take that back. I did draft Joba over Wainwright. I had some 2 SP at the time but neither one I considered an ace so I rolled the dice on the player with the higher upside.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby colt4523 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I think he is definitely overrated in many drafts. He still needs to be acclimated to the starting pitchers role. To me it seems that he still has a closers mentality of trying to strike out everybody and he does not look like he worries about pitching deep into the game. Absolutely filthy stuff, just needs some more innings under his belt and some durability, then he will deserve his draft spot. After this year, we should be able to make a better judgment where he falls in comparison to other pitchers.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)

Postby kab21 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:59 pm

rjforlife wrote:
Yoda wrote:The shoulder injury was a big red flag for me. He is so young and hasn't pitched a full season yet.

Its true he hasn't pitched a full season yet but every great pitcher was in that situation once.

Most other young pitchers had a track record of 150+ IP at the minor league level. And most of them weren't getting drafted in the 10th rd. So unless you're talking keeper then I don't see this as a relevant argument especially when the pitcher does have an injury history.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I take that back. I did draft Joba over Wainwright. I had some 2 SP at the time but neither one I considered an ace so I rolled the dice on the player with the higher upside.

Yeah this is a great strategy if you plan on picking Joba as your #3 but chances are, he will likely go well before I am ready.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:51 pm

kab21 wrote:
rjforlife wrote:

Its true he hasn't pitched a full season yet but every great pitcher was in that situation once.

Most other young pitchers had a track record of 150+ IP at the minor league level. And most of them weren't getting drafted in the 10th rd. So unless you're talking keeper then I don't see this as a relevant argument especially when the pitcher does have an injury history.

Yeah, you would be hard pressed to find a top SP that didn't pitch over 118IP by the time they were 23.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:54 pm

I have

Gallardo
Greinke
Vazquez
Cain