Is Chamberlain Overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Chamberlain Overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Chamberlain Overrated?

Postby Doc19 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:25 pm

I saw that Joba had a much better outing yesterday and that his velocity was back up to his normal mid-nineties. I breathed a sigh of relief as I am fairly bullish on my projections for him this year, as are many, including Shandler, who seems to be extraordinarily high on him this year (albeit with projections that assume more than the 150 innings the yankees seems to be targeting).

I am starting to wonder if I am getting too caught up in the hype, and if he is overrated for where he is being drafted?

His current MDP as per Rookies n' Creams post is about #114, which means you most likely would need to spend a 10th or even 9th round pick to get him. He is being drafted ahead of: Gallardo, Wainright, Nolasco, Vazquez, Greinke, Josh Johnson, Danks, Baker and Slowey.

Does the K potential validate this high a draft position for someone that has yet to pitch as a starter for a full season without injury and is supposedly going to have his innings limited, or is he overrated?? i would love to hear the opinion of the sage cafe...

Thanks!
Doc19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Chamberlain Overrated?

Postby jfg » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:58 pm

I think every pitcher is an injury risk so minus a few candidates (Harden, Prior... you know the drill), I don't knock a player down too much for injury concerns. For me, Joba is being drafted exactly where he should be...I guess the injury concern from other owners has knocked him down to where I would draft him without thinking about injuries. I'll draft him before all of those guys you listed.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby cjd92280 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:59 pm

yes
cjd92280
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:55 am

Doc19 wrote:I saw that Joba had a much better outing yesterday and that his velocity was back up to his normal mid-nineties. I breathed a sigh of relief as I am fairly bullish on my projections for him this year, as are many, including Shandler, who seems to be extraordinarily high on him this year (albeit with projections that assume more than the 150 innings the yankees seems to be targeting).

I am starting to wonder if I am getting too caught up in the hype, and if he is overrated for where he is being drafted?

His current MDP as per Rookies n' Creams post is about #114, which means you most likely would need to spend a 10th or even 9th round pick to get him. He is being drafted ahead of: Gallardo, Wainright, Nolasco, Vazquez, Greinke, Josh Johnson, Danks, Baker and Slowey.

Does the K potential validate this high a draft position for someone that has yet to pitch as a starter for a full season without injury and is supposedly going to have his innings limited, or is he overrated?? i would love to hear the opinion of the sage cafe...

Thanks!

As long as you don't go overboard on your expectations Joba is teh sex, especially in a keeper.
Shandler is probably crazy for predicting the number of innings that he did, 150 should really be your level of satisfaction for 2009. If he pitches more then 150, be happy. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:59 am

I wouldn't necessarily say he's overrated. I just think a lot of people are willing to gamble on the higher risk for a top 10 reward. It's definitely attainable.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby kab21 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:36 am

Personally I don't like Joba at his MDP but I can see why people would take him there. His raw talent is undeniable and he could post a ridiculous season if he stays healthy as a starter. But I'm just too pessimistic that he'll stay healthy and I have 2 H2H pts leagues (and 1 roto) where less injury risk has more value (I need him for the playoffs).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 175)

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:44 am

Eh, I won't take him anywhere close to where he is going. He has talent, but call me bullish on him ever reaching it. Never having pitched more than 118IP is big part of it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:34 am

The shoulder injury was a big red flag for me. He is so young and hasn't pitched a full season yet.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:42 am

On Yahoo he definitly is.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby rjforlife » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:06 pm

Yoda wrote:The shoulder injury was a big red flag for me. He is so young and hasn't pitched a full season yet.

Its true he hasn't pitched a full season yet but every great pitcher was in that situation once. I am not just handing him the greatness title but the talent is quite high with kid and he has shown in his 118 IP just how incredibly dominating he can be. Pitching for the yanks helps too, as although they weren't great last season, he is going to win a lot of the games he pitches if he continues only giving up 1 or 2 runs every 6 innings.....
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers