Top 10 Catchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 10 Catchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top 10 Catchers

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:02 am

A lot of catcher rankings IMO depends on league size and #Cs started. Assuming 12 or less teams and only starting 1 C I'd go..

1.)Brian McCann ATL
2.)Russell Martin LAD
3.)Geovany Soto CHC
4.)Joe Mauer MIN (Would be #3 but back issues linger)
5.)Victor Martinez CLE (Injury’s scare me and until he proves healthy)
6a.)Chris Ianetta COL
6b.)Ryan Doumit PIT
6c.)Matt Weiters BAL
9.)Pablo Sandoval SF (Assuming C elig)
10.)Jorge Posada NYY
11.) Mike Napoli
12.) Bengie Molina SF

Weiters gets that ranking even if he starts the year in AAA. The #13-16 Cs aren't that much worse than Molina and two months of fill in and four months of Weiters offers the potential for large stat differentials. More so than owning the guys I rank after him, and maybe even Ianetta and Doumit, which is why I'll rank them all at 6.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 am

I agree with ranking Wieters above Sadoval/Molina/Posada/Napoli, but the only thing you have to realize when drafting him is that you have to end up drafting another catcher, which would probably stick you with someone like AJ Pierzynski . That part kind of sucks.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby stumpak » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Napoli is not healthy to start the season - I would downgrade him on this basis. The Angels are saying he will can DH to start the season even though his shoulder will be too lousy to get behind the plate, but I think we all know to be a little circumspect about claims like this - there is a risk factor here.

As for Molina, keep in mind that he is 35 years old and does not exactly have a stellar track record of playing 130 games (last season aside) Yes he will put up nice counting stats hitting clean-up, but there are both health factors and age factors working against him - in aggregate these ammount to a big risk. I am not aware of too many Cs who maintain strong performance past age 35, and I would be pretty surprised if Molina (and Posada for that matter) are in the top 10 at the end of season.

When is comes down to the scrub Cs, I would rather go with someone like Navarro or maybe even Y Molina, who will not produce as strongly as B Molina on a game-to-game basis, but has a much greater chance to maintain health and current level of performance. I do not expect Y Molina or Navarro to duplicate last season's BAs (I am aware of the BABIP issues), but I still like them to provide better total value than B Molina when all is said and done.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Depends on the size of the league cause in a 10 teamer with 1 catcher I'll take Bengie Molina easily. If he goes down with an injury I can find someone to fill in.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:54 pm

Posada, Napoli and Molina aren't studs and all catchers carry more injury risk than most players, but there's really no one else to rank ahead of them. Maybe Shoppach? You spoke of Y Molina and Navarro, both of whom are light on power, don't run and won't have the R+RBI ops that these others will have. I'd personally rather have Baker or Clement as replacement level catchers. But they'll all be on the FA wire should a Posada, Napoli or Molina go down with an injury.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:01 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Soto above VMart.

Doumit above Iannetta.

Posada below Wieters (he's not fully healthy).

I agree with this. And if it were up to me, Napoli would bump Molina off the back end of this list.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:29 pm

hot4tx wrote:Posada, Napoli and Molina aren't studs and all catchers carry more injury risk than most players, but there's really no one else to rank ahead of them. Maybe Shoppach?

Shoppach's playing time is a bigger issue than the health of Posada/Napoli/Molina. If Shoppach had a full time gig he'd be right beind Ianetta. Probably the same case with Clement.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:54 pm

I'll take Martinez over Soto any day.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby j24jags » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:29 pm

CadensDad, I see what you did...you got this thread going to decide who to take at C in Brushback. Sneaky... B-)
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 pm

j24jags wrote:CadensDad, I see what you did...you got this thread going to decide who to take at C in Brushback. Sneaky... B-)

LOL, not quite, I already had my 2 catchers in mind. I am using this for a keeper league I am in and need some more insight

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers