5x5 Roto Yahoo 14 team non keeper WHIR!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

5x5 Roto Yahoo 14 team non keeper WHIR!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5x5 Roto Yahoo 14 team non keeper WHIR!!!

Postby bigpat7676 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:16 pm

I was the 8th pick in a 14 team draft. How did I do? Strengths? Weaknesses?

R1 P8 OF Matt Holliday, OAK
R2 P7 OF Ichiro Suzuki, SEA
R3 P8 OF Carlos Quentin, CHW
R4 P7 OF Adam Dunn, WAS [1B]
R5 P8 OF Nate McLouth, PIT
R6 P7 1B Derrek Lee, CHC
R7 P8 SP Scott Kazmir, TB
R8 P7 SP John Lackey, ANA
R9 P8 2B Howie Kendrick, ANA
R10 P7 SS Ryan Theriot, CHC
R11 P8 C Bengie Molina, SF
R12 P7 SP Andy Pettitte, NYY
R13 P8 SP Erik Bedard, SEA
R14 P7 OF Juan Pierre, LA
R15 P8 3B Mark Reynolds, ARI
R16 P7 SP Chien-Ming Wang, NYY
R17 P8 1B Adam LaRoche, PIT
R18 P7 C Dioner Navarro, TB
R19 P8 2B Clint Barmes, COL [SS]
R20 P7 SP Oliver Perez, NYM
R21 P8 SP Chris Carpenter, STL
R22 P7 SP Mark Buehrle, CHW
R23 P8 SP Bronson Arroyo, CIN
Go Yankees!!
bigpat7676
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5x5 Roto Yahoo 14 team non keeper WHIR!!!

Postby jmurphy_j » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:30 am

Well, your OF is definitely set!

I think you are going to need to make a few trades to pull this team together. You are over-loaded at OF and 1B (a total of 8 players). I can't tell how much of a problem this is without knowing the position settings for your league, though. If your league has 5-OF, 2-Util and and a CI position, you aren't in terrible shape. But if you have Yahoo's standard set-up of 3-OF, 1-Util and no CI, then you are in big trouble. (The following advice is all based on the assumption the you are using Yahoo's basic 3-OF, 1-Util, no-CI setting)

You have huge holes in 3B and SS. And your Starting Pitching is also very suspect. On top of all that you have decided to punt saves.

Theriot might have a break-out season...and in a 14-team league SS is particularly thin, so I think you have to stand pat at SS for now while you address the other issues. So your first order of business should be to trade one of your OF's or 1B's for a 3rd Baseman. As long as you get fair value in return, I don't thinlk you can consider any of your OF's/1B's as untradable.

I would also be a bit concerned if my best SP is Kazmir. Kazmir and Lackey are both solid pitchers, but not great (even in a 14 team league, they are both #2 starters). Bedard has some risk, but he also has a big upside (Bedard = #3 starter). But after that, your pitchers are full of question marks. Pettite/Wang/Buehrle/Perez/Carpenter/Arroyo are all #5 starters at best. A few have limited upside, but they all have huge risk/downside. Accordingly, I would also trade another one of the OF/1B group for another #2 or #3 Starting Pitcher. You might be able ot package Wang with an OF/!B to improve the quality of SP you get back.

I'm sure in a 14 team league the waiver wire is pretty dismal. But I would consider the following guys on your team as expendable if you can find any free agents with some real upside: Clint Barmes and Bronson Arroyo.

So the bad news is you punted saves but you still have several holes to fill. The good news is you are so loaded at OF and 1B that you have the trade bait available to fill those holes. Just a warning, though, you will need to make any trades you make count. Make sure you get full value in return. If nobody offers you a fair trade pre-season. you are better off waiting for the season starts and other teams have injuries or guys in a slump.

Good Luck!

Please help:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=371325
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team