Computer/IPod Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer/IPod Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Computer/IPod Help

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Well, only songs downloaded from the iTunes Store or ripped from a CD with iTunes are backed up in the program's system folder. Songs downloaded from Napster, Limewire, Bittorrent, etc are stored in a regular easy-access folder within My Documents or Downloads or something. I assume Inukchuk deleted these folders or had a computer mishap that deleted the songs. And when you've downloaded 50 GB of music over the years like I have (a good 40% of it is lossless audio quality) drive space becomes a problem.

Auto-syncing is the worst, though. If you delete, move, rename, reorganize, or change the files or folders in any way, the songs get deleted off your iPod as well. It's alright when you just use the iTunes Store or CDs you bought, but anything else becomes a pain to manage.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:38 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:I assume Inukchuk deleted these folders or had a computer mishap that deleted the songs.

Yup, that's what happened. I actually went exploring in my iPod, and found over half the files to be mp4's. Is this a problem? Can I handle them as you described earlier?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:12 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:I assume Inukchuk deleted these folders or had a computer mishap that deleted the songs.

Yup, that's what happened. I actually went exploring in my iPod, and found over half the files to be mp4's. Is this a problem? Can I handle them as you described earlier?

.mp4's as in videos? Or m4a audio files? m4a is the standard iTunes audio file and it's rarely used anywhere else for compatibility reasons. I assume these are the songs you bought from the iTunes store or ripped from your CDs, so they would certainly retain their metadata. Audio files with the .mp4 extension are pretty damn rare, and though I'm fairly sure that it follows the same rules I can't promise it. .mp4 videos lack the metadata 99% of the time because DVD ripping software isn't as advanced as its CD counterparts, so data gets lost along the way. You would definitely have to rename the videos.

When in doubt, just copy them to your computer and load them onto iTunes to see if anything's wrong.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to General Talk