Computer/IPod Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer/IPod Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Computer/IPod Help

Postby jzfran » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Hey Everybody,

Havent posted in a while but thought this was a good place to ask some computer savvy guys...

So I'm home for spring break and I need to charge my Ipod. My brother has some songs saved on our very slow family computer and I wanted to put them on my Ipod (the only Ipod in the house). Idk if it's a virus, it could be just spyware, but could downloading songs from that computer and/or charging my Ipod, hurt my Ipod? Thanks for the help in advance!
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Computer/IPod Help

Postby bleach168 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Safe.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:07 am

You won't get a virus, but depending on how your iPod is set up, putting songs from that computer on your iPod could erase whatever is already on there. It should give you a warning message if that was going to happen though, which would let you cancel putting the songs on before anything is erased.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:36 am

Yeah when you plug it in, you're going to want to check "manually manage songs" or un-check "automatically sync songs to iPod" (only one should appear, depending on the version) on the first screen it shows when iTunes loads your iPod.

iPod viruses are extremely rare, and nearly impossible to get, since iPods don't take any files other than certain music/video/picture files. It's a non-issue.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:39 am

Another question while we're on the topic...

My iPod is starting to get old, and not all the songs on it are legal. Before this one craps out, I'd like to store my music somewhere so it's easy to move once I get a new one. Any suggestions? I've heard there are websites that will do it, but I'm leery of exposing my baby to an unapproved program. Any suggestions?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:45 am

Inukchuk wrote:Another question while we're on the topic...

My iPod is starting to get old, and not all the songs on it are legal. Before this one craps out, I'd like to store my music somewhere so it's easy to move once I get a new one. Any suggestions? I've heard there are websites that will do it, but I'm leery of exposing my baby to an unapproved program. Any suggestions?

cant you just store them in your iTunes on your computer :-? i know i have some songs from the old Napster days that play in iTunes and on my iPod just fine
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:46 pm

What I used to do before I stopped deleting my not-so-legal music (I just put it on my 500GB external HD now) is opening my iPod as a hard drive and simply manually copying all my songs from the iPod_Control folder. To do this (if you have a PC; if not, save yourself the time and stop reading) just go to My Computer, right click on the drive that has your iPod's name, and hit "explore". Do an advanced search on ".mp3" with "include hidden files and folders" checked, select them all, and copy them to a folder in C drive. They will all be some 4 letter combination like FHAJ.mp3, but if it was ripped with proper metadata by whoever uploaded the songs, it will retain the information when you load them back on iTunes/iPod.

I'd do a test run first, though. Copy all the songs, load them back on iTunes (not the iPod) and see how many retain the 4-letter name. If it's only a few, just go back to your iPod and add a space to the end of the song name. If it's a lot, then either set aside a few hours to add spaces to those songs or forget this post and use software, which I'm not familiar with. This only happened to me with a few obscure albums, most people use CD rippers with a track database like iTunes has when you rip a CD.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:49 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

cant you just store them in your iTunes on your computer :-? i know i have some songs from the old Napster days that play in iTunes and on my iPod just fine

Yeah, but if you delete the songs off your computer to save space, iTunes doesn't retain them and for some stupid ass reason you can't drag songs from the iPod to the computer's hard drive via iTunes.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Yeah, but if you delete the songs off your computer to save space, iTunes doesn't retain them and for some stupid ass reason you can't drag songs from the iPod to the computer's hard drive via iTunes.

maybe i'm missing something, because i dont use my ipod a ton, but arent all the songs on most peoples ipods backed up on their computers HD and then synced with ipod via itunes? i cant see a situation where i'd have more storage space on my ipod than my PC and would need to delete songs from my PC but not my ipod, but i guess it could be an issue for people with older PCs and small HD's
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

maybe i'm missing something, because i dont use my ipod a ton, but arent all the songs on most peoples ipods backed up on their computers HD and then synced with ipod via itunes? i cant see a situation where i'd have more storage space on my ipod than my PC and would need to delete songs from my PC but not my ipod, but i guess it could be an issue for people with older PCs and small HD's

I used to not save the songs on my computer once they were on my iPod. Then when I got a new iPod I had to take songs off my old iPod since I didn't have them on the computer anymore. I used a program called EphPod that worked pretty well.

Now I just keep them all on my computer though.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk