Buster Posey and his lack of power - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Buster Posey and his lack of power

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Buster Posey and his lack of power

Postby BeachBums » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:17 am

Everything I read says Posey lacks power. Is this a concern fantasy wise or will he be more like a Joe Mauer type being very productive without the power? Or should I consider a different catcher a little further down in the draft? Maybe a Kyle Skipworth or Angel Salom or Jason Castro or even J.P. Arencibia.

Edit: Carlos Santana, Jesus Montero and Taylor Teagarden are on other teams.
BeachBums
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buster Posey and his lack of power

Postby AEMRICH » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 am

i think Posey has the best power out of all of those players- he is very athletic and converted to catcher from SS i believe. I wouldn't want any of those guys over posey stick with him and you will be happy. I don't see him hitting 25+hr a year but i think he will give 15-20HR a year when he comes in to his prime
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:34 am

Castro could end up having a little more pop in his bat. Of all the names i your post, Santana is the one with the most power that will stay at C. I don't see Montero doing it.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:49 am

I think Posey will be the best catcher out of that bunch. I think Montero will be able to stay the position and be next. Santana will likely find himself moved to 1B/DH as he's not good behind the plate. Something great concerning all the catchers you mentioned except Santana is that they're all unblocked and I think Posey, Santana, and maybe Montero if Posada goes down all see time in the bigs this year.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Well sure it's a fantasy concern, especially in the home field he will be playing in. IMO he won't have the avg or obp to make it for it as much as Mauer does. Whether you take him or not really depends on what else you can draft at this point. As far as other catchers though, Skipworth is projected to have more power, but he is a far ways off at this point and H.S. catchers are risky. Montero isn't likely to stick at catcher, his body is already to big and limits his motion behind the dish .... but they will keep him there till they have to. Salome is similier to Posey in power and he could be moved to a different position as well so its not the safest bet.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball