Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's your league size?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What's your league size?

Postby CadensDad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:28 pm

12 roto keeper (6 keepers)
12 roto
14 roto

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dmbjeff » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 pm

swyck wrote:
dmbjeff wrote:dont u find drafting in a 10 team league to be extremely easy? having 10 picks in the first 100 is crazy to me.in an 18 teamer you get 6 picks in the first 100. makes the draft very important. there are still gems to be found on the WW, last year i ended up with cliff lee for instance. do you choose smaller size because it's standard? because you only can find 10 people to join the league? you feel like less teams is an easier challenge? im just curious.

I'm not sure why you think it would be easier. It's all a matter of perspective. You do get 10 top 100 players, but so does everybody else. It's not any "easier" to win since everyone has the same rules and the same draft.

Me, I think 12 teams is a good size for an enjoyable league, which is what I'm looking for these days. Not everyone that exercises does wind sprints or marathons. I used to commish a 20 team 25 roster league and had a lot of fun doing that. It is more work, which is not really the same thing as a challenge.

I'm in one 12 and one 16 team league this year, but I'm passing on my 18 team 25 roster league this year. So yeah, I've played in all size leagues, and I don't find 12 teamer's to be less of a challenge or less enjoyable. :-D

i understand what you are saying and that everyone in the league has an equal chance and what not.i agree that's true. i just think being able to have 10 picks in the first 100, you have a much better chance to not screw those picks up as someone in a league where they have 6 picks in the top 100. to go even further, in a standard 23 man roto roster, a 10 man league picks 230 players. in an 18 team league, by pick 230 overall, i barely have half of my team drafted. also drafting, you need to go in with better strategy. if i don't draft steals early in my 18 teamer, i am in big trouble. if i want to compete in saves, i have to make sure i'm one of the teams who draft 2 closers and make sure they are solid.

after alot of the responses so far, it seems that some owners prefer 10 or 12 teamers because its more casual for them and that's ok. it allows them to not know as much about 4th and 5th starters and not have to always check rotoworld for breaking news perhaps. also, some of it depends on how much money you are spending on your team, if anything at all. i think guys who have league's for bigger money approach their team differently than if it's a league just for fun or each team puts in just a little bit of money.
dmbjeff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby West » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Two 12 teamers both keeper 5x5. One roto, one head to head.

I'd like to try a 14 teamer or an AL/NL only someday, but I can really only pay attention to two leagues at a time.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Personally I can't play in a league under 16 teams, just feels wrong.

16 team league - dynasty h2h 6x6
20 team league - dynasty auction 7x7
20 team league - dynasty roto 6x6
16 team league - dynasty h2h 6x6

I guess I don't like 1 year leagues ... :-? :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:52 pm

12 team, 12 keeper H2H pts
20 team redraft auction
24 team dynasty H2H pts

I think it's just as hard to do well in a shallow league but I'm more interested in having to use the entire MLB player pool (of close to it). It keeps it interesting to research everyone.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby twistedude » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 pm

14 team $ roto keeper (keep 5) - 3rd year running
14 team H2H redraft

Trying to limit myself to these two leagues this year. I tend to do better in fantasy when I'm more focused.
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 37)

Postby converge241 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:22 am

my regular $$ leagues:

10 team mixed (the only auction) (27 roster slots)
10 team (the only H2H) (25 roster slots)
10 team AL only (38 roster slots ...with no add-drops)
12 team dynasty (roughly 16-18 keepers for everyone then we go to 29 total slots)
12 team roto keep 4 (23 slots)
14 team roto keep 5 (27 slots)

usually i end up in 1-2 more each year like sometimes a CBS NL only or the like or get roped last minute into some other random league

then a small free family league thats not too serious of anywhere from 6-10 teams with varying roster sizes to adjust to the memberships
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers