Sleepers.... for 2010? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleepers.... for 2010?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sleepers.... for 2010?

Postby V » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:08 pm

I'm in a deep keeper league (20 team) that allows us to keep players each season (up to twice) at draft round divided by 2 (with rounding). We're in the later rounds of the draft (15) and I've given up on 2009 due to trading away draft picks for the stretch drive last year (and suffered a 1st round knockout in the playoffs :-().

So, I'm drafting guys who might be solid keepers NEXT year instead of players I 'need' for 2009. I've already drafted LaPorta, and I'm looking at Gamel/Hanson/Purcey/etc. - guys that have the potential to be breakout players in 2009 and worth of a pick in the top 160 in 2010. They need not be prospects (for example, Nick Swisher was on my list until someone grabbed him just before me).

Anyone have any good suggestions?
V
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sleepers.... for 2010?

Postby stumpak » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Here a few guys who should be looking better thanks to a change of scenery alone:

Adrian Beltre. Look at his H/R splits. Just getting out of Seattle to a neutral park will add 5 HR and .010 to his BA easy, not to mention the increased R and RBi that will come from not being in the middle of a crappy line-up.

Similar dynamic with Uggla, I can't imagine he will be with the Marlins next year, and he will benefit from the ballpark effect.

Kouzmanoff is another guy who gets killed by his home park and plays like a top 10 3B on the road. I could see the Padres moving him after this year to avoid arbitration; it is not like they will be contending in 2010. Factor in that he was playing with a bum shoulder for the second half last year that really diminished his performance , and he is a good bet for .280/35 if he could ever get out of San Diego.

On pure development alone, Lind and Milledge are two guys I like to dramatically raise their value between this spring and next.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby V » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:30 pm

I like the list.. but..

Beltre: drafted in the 8th
Uggla: drafted in the 3rd
Kouzmanoff: drafted in the 13th
Milledge: drafted in the 7th

Lind might survive to my late 16th round pick - I had him in my 10th round 'keeper slot' last year (I was a solid competitor into the playoffs, so couldn't afford more roster space hoping for breakout keepers (had Iannetta at one point, then Cruz, but ended up with Price)).

If Hanson et.al survive to the 17th, they go from 8th round keepers to 9th round keepers. I'm willing to store 'useless' players all year as my team is going to be rather uncompetitive (I have five solid players (3 1st rounders, 4th rounder, and David Price through 14 rounds ;-)).
V
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Maris09 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Snider (Tor)
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:11 pm

Neftali Feliz
Cameron Maybin
Trevor Cahill/Brett Anderson
Jaime Garcia
Justin Masterson
Clay Buchholz
Homer Bailey
Wade Davis
Michael Bowden
Wladimir Balentien
Alberto Callaspo

I know you weren't necessarily looking for prospects, but that's likely where you'll strike gold. Oftentimes it's a crapshoot trying to project a prospect's future success, but I'd rather take a chance on an upside guy than a guy in the bigs who is likely declining.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby V » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Neftali Feliz
Cameron Maybin
Trevor Cahill/Brett Anderson
Jaime Garcia
Justin Masterson
Clay Buchholz
Homer Bailey
Wade Davis
Michael Bowden
Wladimir Balentien
Alberto Callaspo

I know you weren't necessarily looking for prospects, but that's likely where you'll strike gold. Oftentimes it's a crapshoot trying to project a prospect's future success, but I'd rather take a chance on an upside guy than a guy in the bigs who is likely declining.

Maybin's long gone, but I like several guys on this list - though I'm not sure how Bowden and Buchholz get too many opportunities in 2009/2010 without a trade or a lot of injuries. Masterson -might- start as the 5th guy (but why did the Sox sign Penny??!).

I have a LOT of picks still left, so might get several of these guys. I'm also taking Sheets in the 19th if he's still there, as I can afford to stash him as an N/A all season (since he is a free agent, he can't go on a DL).
V
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:28 pm

I wanna say Chase Headley
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby smoovethug » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:33 pm

Carlos Carrasco! He's getting a look at the 5th spot this ST but he hasn't been faring too well. Looks like the job is going to go to either Happ or Chan Ho Park. Carrasco will get another year of seasoning in Triple-A and by this time next year should be ready to make an impact.

Ian Stewart
Dexter Fowler
Travis Ishikawa

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:00 am

A few names...

Travis Buck (Oak - SP)
Collin Balestar (Was - SP)
Steven Pearce (Pit - OF)
Lou Marson (Phi - C)
Taylor Tankersley (Fla - RP)
Todd Frazier (Cin - 3B,SS)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:47 am

Also...

Alberto Callaspo
Emilio Bonifacio

I really like this pair of former d-Backs farm hands, both whom should be starting in 2010.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers