New to FBC; Concerned I drafted poorly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

New to FBC; Concerned I drafted poorly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to FBC; Concerned I drafted poorly

Postby capitalh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Greetings,

I decided to join the forums this year after my draft left me pretty concerned about my overall team make up. It is a 12 team H2H league with the following stat categories:
R, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, FPCT, AVG, SLG, IP, W, L, CG, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/BB

And the team in question:

Batters
C - Victor Martinez (Cle - C,1B)
1B - Derrek Lee (ChC - 1B)
2B - Ian Kinsler (Tex - 2B)
3B - Chone Figgins (LAA - 2B,3B)
SS - Rafael Furcal (LAD - SS)
OF - B.J. Upton (TB - OF)
OF - Matt Holliday (Oak - OF)
OF - Nelson Cruz (Tex - OF)
Util - Pat Burrell (TB - OF)
Util - Melvin Mora (Bal - 3B)
BN - Alex Gordon (KC - 3B)
BN - Adam Jones (Bal - OF)

Pitchers
SP - Brandon Webb (Ari - SP)
SP - Scott Kazmir (TB - SP)
RP - Jonathan Broxton (LAD - RP)
RP - Frank Francisco (Tex - RP)
P - Zack Greinke (KC - SP)
P - Max Scherzer (Ari - SP,RP)
P - Justin Duchscherer (Oak - SP)
BN - David Purcey (Tor - SP)
BN - Kenshin Kawakami (Atl - SP)
BN - Andy Sonnanstine (TB - SP)

I think I need more power from my hitters. Also I am worried about all the question marks regarding my starting pitching (Scherzer, Purcey, Kawakami, and Duchscherer's health). Also, I realize I am currently abandoning the holds category as I don't have any middle relievers (Unless you count Duchscherer).

Anyway, I greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions for how I can better my team. Thanks!
capitalh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to FBC; Concerned I drafted poorly

Postby splitsquad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:56 pm

I agree with you on the power numbers, you need some one along the lines of a Mike Jacobs to give your offense some pop... As for the holds i tried to draft a few (1st league w/ holds for me) but from year to year its basically a crap shoot what I've read is you can try to find set-up men on good teams to maximize the MRs
splitsquad
T-Ball Trainer

Postby capitalh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the FA pool is looking fairly thin right now in terms of power. I think I might have to wait until the season starts and see who is mashing the ball. It looks like the closest thing left in the pool right now to a "power guy" is someone like Ty Wigginton, Marcus Thames, Russell Branyan, Ryan Garko (had 90RBIs at least), or Jack Cust.

I figured I would wait on middle relievers until the season begins as well, since I can probably find one or two solid options to add to my team.
capitalh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pyne Ryder » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:01 pm

I would go with Cust or Wigginton for power, Cust will strike out a lot and have a fairly low BA, but his HR and RBI production should off-set that. Wigginton is a good choice for BA and power, he's probably good for .270-.280, 20+ HR's and 50-60 RBI's. He also gives you some position flexibilty because he plays 3B/OF. As for MR, I would agree with your strategy and pick up a MR from one of the better teams.

Good Luck! ;-D
Pyne Ryder
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby capitalh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:45 pm

You have a good point about wiggy's position flexibility. But do you think you would drop anyone currently on my roster to pick him up? I guess the first ones to go would be purcey, gordon, or a. jones... To be honest I am probably the kind of drafter that overvalues potential, which would explain I guess why those three are on my roster. But at the same time I don't know if I would want to drop any of them for wigginton until a week or two into the season when I might have a better idea of who is more promising for this season...
capitalh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby magus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've never played with some of the categories you have listed, so it's difficult for me to give you a good assessment. I would agree with the necessity of power, but who all is available on your WW? Just wiggy and cust? How does Gordon fair with some of those alternative categories you are using, like say fd pct%? I would be hesitant to drop one of your young gun pitchers for one of those guys until the end of ST, because you might get a better indication of what 2009 will be like for those players and what their clubs will do with them. Give it a couple of weeks, and if somebody might not make a roster, then I'd cut em for a power hitter.
magus
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team