Useful players buried in the Yahoo Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Useful players buried in the Yahoo Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Useful players buried in the Yahoo Rankings

Postby smoovethug » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 pm

hybrid wrote:
I defiantly agree with J. Rivera. People forget that just a couple years ago he had a really good season and most expected more the following season.

Seems like so long ago but I do remember.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tiggis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 pm

If your looking for a 2nd baseman on the cheap.

Aaron Hill

He was hurt last year so he is buried in the 20th round, but if you step into the wayback machine....to the year 2007

- 87runs/17hr/78rbi/4sb/.291avg

He is only 29 and has enough left in the tank to post
- 85runs/20hr/70rbi/5sb/.295avg

Thats great value when compared to

Alexei Ramirez who is going in the 5th...
- 80runs/20hr/81rbis/13sb/.277
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:40 pm

podoffdubs wrote:#839 Eric Chavez
#848 Pedro Feliz
#875 Luis Castillo
#897 Todd Helton
#904 Melky Cabrera

There seems to be some kind of tear in the space/time continuum. Somehow a post from 2005 got put into the middle of this thread.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby siQ_innovation » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:41 pm

one guy I'm pretty excited to see this year that's going undrafted is most leagues is John Baker (Catcher, Florida). He played 61 games and posted almost 200 ABs (197 to be exact). In those ABs the posted a .299AVG, 32 Runs, 5 HRs, 32 RBIs. Not too shabby if you ask me. But the nicer thing is that he's projected to bat 2nd in the lineup behind Cameron Maybin and in front of Hanley Ramirez. Not very many Catchers get to bat in such a sweet spot like that.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 pm

umm...Rick Porcello (Det - P). recently added
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby siQ_innovation » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:53 pm

Havok1517 wrote:umm...Rick Porcello (Det - P). recently added

You think he's solidified a spot as the #5 guy? I mean Robertson and Willis aren't doing much to put up a fight or anything...

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:34 pm

siQ_innovation wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:umm...Rick Porcello (Det - P). recently added

You think he's solidified a spot as the #5 guy? I mean Robertson and Willis aren't doing much to put up a fight or anything...

Not sure yet but he'll be a fine addition for some numbers when/if he gets full time work.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby mtarail » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 am

Don't know Milton Bradley's ranking, but I'm seeing him getting drafted around the 15th round or later in 5x5 drafts. Yes, we all know about the reasons to be concerned about Milton, but he has proven that he can produce like a top 10 OF when healthy. Well worth the low risk of such a late pick.

Same goes for Bedard. Here was a guy that was drafted in the 3rd round last year. Early accounts are that he's healthy and throwing fine. I'm seeing him go in the 14th round and later in drafts. Another great value pick.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:34 am

mtarail wrote:Don't know Milton Bradley's ranking, but I'm seeing him getting drafted around the 15th round or later in 5x5 drafts. Yes, we all know about the reasons to be concerned about Milton, but he has proven that he can produce like a top 10 OF when healthy. Well worth the low risk of such a late pick.

Same goes for Bedard. Here was a guy that was drafted in the 3rd round last year. Early accounts are that he's healthy and throwing fine. I'm seeing him go in the 14th round and later in drafts. Another great value pick.

I agree with you on Bedard, but I think Milton Bradley is going about where he should be.

A couple of points about Bradley:
1) His health is an even bigger concern than most realize. 2004 was the only year in which he has had more than 500 ABs. As a DH in Texas he couldn't even stay healthy. Playing OF in Chicago isn't going to help matters.
2) He's not very well established for a player his age. He has only hit over .300 in 3 years. His BABIP those years: .378 in 2003, .329 in 2007, and .396 in 2008 (tops in the league). As a LD hitter you'd expect his BABIP to be a bit higher than most, but a .396 BABIP isn't sustainable.
3) 2008 is the only year he has hit over 20 HRs. Though he hit 19 HRs in 2004 (every other year hes been under 15). Clearly this is partially due to health problems but not completely IMO. Last year his HR/FB rate was 21.2% -- only a few players were higher (Howard and Dunn were two of them). He'll have a hard time repeating that.

Bradley is in his prime right now so you'd expect these numbers to be a bit higher for him, but man, they're going to be tough to repeat.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good hitter, but not a great one. He uses a good approach at the plate but he also strikes out a lot and won't be a great asset in any category. You can duplicate the numbers he'll give you by streaming hot players off the WW and, by doing so, won't have him clogging a DL spot half the year.

You can do better than Bradley in your drafts. Grab someone with more upside.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:11 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
mtarail wrote:Don't know Milton Bradley's ranking, but I'm seeing him getting drafted around the 15th round or later in 5x5 drafts. Yes, we all know about the reasons to be concerned about Milton, but he has proven that he can produce like a top 10 OF when healthy. Well worth the low risk of such a late pick.

I agree with you on Bedard, but I think Milton Bradley is going about where he should be.

A couple of points about Bradley:
1) His health is an even bigger concern than most realize. 2004 was the only year in which he has had more than 500 ABs. As a DH in Texas he couldn't even stay healthy. Playing OF in Chicago isn't going to help matters.
2) He's not very well established for a player his age. He has only hit over .300 in 3 years. His BABIP those years: .378 in 2003, .329 in 2007, and .396 in 2008 (tops in the league). As a LD hitter you'd expect his BABIP to be a bit higher than most, but a .396 BABIP isn't sustainable.
3) 2008 is the only year he has hit over 20 HRs. Though he hit 19 HRs in 2004 (every other year hes been under 15). Clearly this is partially due to health problems but not completely IMO. Last year his HR/FB rate was 21.2% -- only a few players were higher (Howard and Dunn were two of them). He'll have a hard time repeating that.

Bradley is in his prime right now so you'd expect these numbers to be a bit higher for him, but man, they're going to be tough to repeat.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good hitter, but not a great one. He uses a good approach at the plate but he also strikes out a lot and won't be a great asset in any category. You can duplicate the numbers he'll give you by streaming hot players off the WW and, by doing so, won't have him clogging a DL spot half the year.

You can do better than Bradley in your drafts. Grab someone with more upside.

Not to mention he's a hothead and often has a bad attitude.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers