Useful players buried in the Yahoo Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Useful players buried in the Yahoo Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Useful players buried in the Yahoo Rankings

Postby dave knight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Cody Ross - #555 - Very good HR and RBI here, will start in RF for Marlins. He's a good 3rd outfielder who I'd rather have than the injured and overrated Vernon Wells (84) among others.

Brandon Lyon - #573 - I think more people are aware of this. Bad pitcher, but saves are saves.

Who are some other buried gems?
dave knight
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Useful players buried in the Yahoo Rankings

Postby BigZ38 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Depending on how deep your league is Ben Francisco is buried at 605, and he is a guy w/ playing time, turning 27, and could pop over 20 homers. Not a bad option if you need 5 outfielders
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ChasingDeadFish » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm in a 16 team H2H and I just noticed Ryan Spilborghs ranked at # 838.

He's starting for Colorado in CF this year and his 08 numbers were actually pretty decent last year.

AB's 233
Hits 73
Runs 38
Hr's 6
Rbi's 36
Sb's 6
Avg .313

I haven't heard any news on this guy anywhere and am curious as to why he's flying under the radar ?
No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda
ChasingDeadFish
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Hitters:
Jason Kubel (MIN - OF) #285
--Will see regular time as the Twins DH. He hit .283 with 17 HRs against righties last year (just get him out of your lineup when he's facing a lefty).

David DeJesús (KC - OF) #287
--Pretty useful backup IMO. Close to .300 AVG, with around 10 HRs and 10 SBs seems likely. With Coco now hitting leadoff, he'll should start the year batting 3rd or 4th.

Elvis Andrus (TEX - SS) #789
--This young speedster has SS to himself with Micheal Young moving to 3B. He won't hit many HRs, but SBs should be plentiful to go along with a decent AVG.

Colby Rasmus (STL - OF) #816
--A top prospect with a good shot at making the Cardinals opening day roster.

Bill Hall (MIL - 3B) #852
--He's coming back from a calf injury and Matt Gamel will probably take over 3B before the end of the year. But it looks like Hall will have a chance to win back a starting spot early. He's probably not worth drafting...but he has enough power that he should be watched in case he gets hot for a while.

Blake DeWitt (LAD - 2B,3B) #855
--The Dodgers are giving him time at SS right now. It doesn't look like he'll make the Dodgers roster, but if he does he could be a nice utility man.

Todd Helton (Col - 1B) #898
--His power isn't coming back (don't expect more than 15-20 HRs) but he's still capable of hitting for a high average. Batting 3rd for the Rockies he'll see plenty of RBI opportunities. If his back holds up, he could post Loney like numbers at a fraction of the price. In OBP leagues he has more value since he'll likely walk more than he strikes out.

Michael Cuddyer (Min - OF) #952
--Not a great player but he will open the season as the Twins starting RF. It remains to be seen how he'll come back from his serious hand injury and Young will push him for playing time.

Brandon Inge (Det - C,3B,OF) #961
--He'll play 3B for the Tigers this year. His catcher eligibility is the only reason he has much value.

Chris Duncan (StL - 1B,OF) #990
--He's tearing it up in ST right now. Looks like he's fully recovered from his surgery last year. Great power potential.

Wladimir Balentien (Sea - OF) #1051
--Young power hitter. He'll probably be a backup OF to start the year (as well as a part time DH).

Pitchers:
Jeremy Guthrie (Bal - SP) #296
--Underappreicated player. He's better in real life than he is in fantasy but he's still a very solid #4 or #5 fantasy starter.

Armando Galarraga (Det - SP) #317
--Looked very impressive against the US in the WBC. He gave up too many fly balls last year and his K/9 isn't very impressive for someone who throws so many sliders, but he has the potential to be a solid pitcher.

Scot Shields (LAA - RP) #504
--Consistently posts useful numbers even if your league doesn't count holds.

Justin Masterson (Bos - SP,RP) #514
--He'll start the year in the pen. But he should get a chance to start should one of Boston's starters get hurt. Which, looking at their top 5, seems likely.

Octavio Dotel (CWS - RP) #528
--See Scot Shields above. (Plus he's a K machine).

Jamie Moyer (Phi - SP) #570
--Ageless wonder. Won't repeat last years numbers, but he could be a nice source of wins playing for the Phillies.

Andy Sonnanstine (TB - SP) #653
--Solid numbers to go along with a great WHIP. Could win 12-15 games if all goes well.

Nick Blackburn (Min - SP) #679
--It'd probably be best to wait and see how he recovers from knee surgery, but the Twins seem to expect him to be able to start the year in the back of their rotation. Like Sonnastine, he's a solid player with limited potential.

Andy Pettitte (NYY - SP) #874
--Solid veteran pitcher. The loss of ARod for part of the season hurts his win potential, but he should still have decent value.

I probably missed a fair amount of guys, but these are some of the players who jumped out at me when I went through the rankings.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:49 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Blake DeWitt (LAD - 2B,3B) #855
--The Dodgers are giving him time at SS right now. It doesn't look like he'll make the Dodgers roster, but if he does he could be a nice utility man.

I see DeWitt being more of a utility man and late innings defensive replacement. He'll probably spell Casey Blake more often than either Hudson or Furcal.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby dave knight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Sonnanstine is a nice catch, he's on a nice team for wins, and is able to produce some nice ratios as well.

Todd Wellemeyer (536) is another pitcher capable of a nice ERA and a few wins as your last starter in a mixed league.

Buried even further are Brandon Wood (1059) and Andy LaRoche (1079). There is hardly a guarantee that Wood will win a starting job, or that LaRoche will stay healthy. But both of their minor league numbers show the potential for a breakout, and the cost is nothing.

This thread looks like a good cheat sheet for some of my deeper drafts.
dave knight
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ChasingDeadFish » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:30 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Hitters:
Jason Kubel (MIN - OF) #285
--Will see regular time as the Twins DH. He hit .283 with 17 HRs against righties last year (just get him out of your lineup when he's facing a lefty).

--Pretty useful backup IMO. Close to .300 AVG, with around 10 HRs and 10 SBs seems likely. With Coco now hitting leadoff, he'll should start the year batting 3rd or 4th.

Elvis Andrus (TEX - SS) #789
--This young speedster has SS to himself with Micheal Young moving to 3B. He won't hit many HRs, but SBs should be plentiful to go along with a decent AVG.

Colby Rasmus (STL - OF) #816
--A top prospect with a good shot at making the Cardinals opening day roster.

You have to remember too that Petite being the Yankees # 4 guy that he's going to be facing alot of bums on the backend of their rotations.Actually I should put this under the gambling thread too.

Bill Hall (MIL - 3B) #852
--He's coming back from a calf injury and Matt Gamel will probably take over 3B before the end of the year. But it looks like Hall will have a chance to win back a starting spot early. He's probably not worth drafting...but he has enough power that he should be watched in case he gets hot for a while.

Blake DeWitt (LAD - 2B,3B) #855

Todd Helton (Col - 1B) #898
--His power isn't coming back (don't expect more than 15-20 HRs) but he's still capable of hitting for a high average. Batting 3rd for the Rockies he'll see plenty of RBI opportunities. If his back holds up, he could post Loney like numbers at a fraction of the price. In OBP leagues he has more value since he'll likely walk more than he strikes out.

Michael Cuddyer (Min - OF) #952
--Not a great player but he will open the season as the Twins starting RF. It remains to be seen how he'll come back from his serious hand injury and Young will push him for playing time.

Brandon Inge (Det - C,3B,OF) #961
--He'll play 3B for the Tigers this year. His catcher eligibility is the only reason he has much value.

Chris Duncan (StL - 1B,OF) #990
--He's tearing it up in ST right now. Looks like he's fully recovered from his surgery last year. Great power potential.

Wladimir Balentien (Sea - OF) #1051
--Young power hitter. He'll probably be a backup OF to start the year (as well as a part time DH).

Pitchers:
Jeremy Guthrie (Bal - SP) #296
--Underappreicated player. He's better in real life than he is in fantasy but he's still a very solid #4 or #5 fantasy starter.

Armando Galarraga (Det - SP) #317
--Looked very impressive against the US in the WBC. He gave up too many fly balls last year and his K/9 isn't very impressive for someone who throws so many sliders, but he has the potential to be a solid pitcher.

Scot Shields (LAA - RP) #504
--Consistently posts useful numbers even if your league doesn't count holds.

Justin Masterson (Bos - SP,RP) #514
--He'll start the year in the pen. But he should get a chance to start should one of Boston's starters get hurt. Which, looking at their top 5, seems likely.

Octavio Dotel (CWS - RP) #528
--See Scot Shields above. (Plus he's a K machine).

Jamie Moyer (Phi - SP) #570
--Ageless wonder. Won't repeat last years numbers, but he could be a nice source of wins playing for the Phillies.

Andy Sonnanstine (TB - SP) #653
--Solid numbers to go along with a great WHIP. Could win 12-15 games if all goes well.

Nick Blackburn (Min - SP) #679
--It'd probably be best to wait and see how he recovers from knee surgery, but the Twins seem to expect him to be able to start the year in the back of their rotation. Like Sonnastine, he's a solid player with limited potential.

Andy Pettitte (NYY - SP) #874
--Solid veteran pitcher. The loss of ARod for part of the season hurts his win potential, but he should still have decent value.

I probably missed a fair amount of guys, but these are some of the players who jumped out at me when I went through the rankings.
No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda
ChasingDeadFish
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ChasingDeadFish » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 pm

For some reason my last post didn't quote.I was saying that Petite being the Yankees # 4 guy is going to be facing alot of bums on the backend of their teams respected rotation.I should also put this in the gambling thread.
ChasingDeadFish
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Hitters:

I can't see him batting 4th though I don't disagree with your opinion that he is a capable back-up. Wth Crisp and Aviles ahead of him and Guillen behind him, he could put together a solid season.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Also, Clay Buchholz at 1036...are there really over a thousand players better than he is? More than likely going to spend the early part of the season in AAA but you know the Sox are going to want to see him back up in Boston this year. Could be a nice pitcher to grab late and stash on your bench.

How about Franklin Gutierrez at 872. LF/CF/RF eligibility and could be a 15/15 guy for Seattle this year. I like him more than Francisco at least who was also identified in this thread.

Manny Corpas at 646...if he could just keep it together...

Travis Ishikawa at 711...gettin' a lot of love here at the cafe...don't have much of an opinion of him myself yet, but he is penciled in as the starting first baseman and who knows....

Jeremy Bonderman at 871 could be a nice grab if you can stash him on the bench. Detroit badly needs him to put it back together if they are going to contend in the AL Central. Won't be drafting him, but will put him on my watch list.

Joe Crede at 913...can he stay healthy though playing on turf?
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers