Matt Kemp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Matt Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Kemp

Postby Ursa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:31 pm

Words cannot do justice to the loathing I have for this guy. Never owned him and every time I face him, he goes berserk. Those 4 runs today were enough to flip that cat. :-C
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skimo77 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:19 am

another homer, batting 8th... .. good job torre ;-D manager of the year!
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby tah161 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:54 am

Okay, What the hell is up with Kemp this year?

He has 100+ hits and 13 Homeruns, BUT he only has 12 DOUBLES. Last year he hit 38 doubles.

He looks like he will hit 20+ HR's this year, but why such the decrease in doubles?

Anyone want to chime in on this?
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Treebeard's Nuts » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:28 pm

tah161 wrote:Okay, What the hell is up with Kemp this year?

He has 100+ hits and 13 Homeruns, BUT he only has 12 DOUBLES. Last year he hit 38 doubles.

He looks like he will hit 20+ HR's this year, but why such the decrease in doubles?

Better for the stolen bases department...He loves his fantasy owners!
Twelve equals a dozen...Get it right bakers!
-- Stephen Colbert
Treebeard's Nuts
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby tah161 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 am

well from a fantasy standpoint it isnt a big deal, but from a overall play stand point, is does not look good.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby .JagMan. » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Next season I see Kemp as a 110 R, 30 HR, 110 RBI, 40 SB, .310 BA guy (assuming he isn't batting 7th in the order almost every night)
.JagMan.
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:08 pm

From what I can tell, he's hitting more deep flyballs that trail off as tepid flyouts in front of the track. Last season, the focus for Kemp was just to put the ball in play, by going the opposite direction. Now that he's markedly more selective and working the counts, he's getting favorable pitches to hit.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby tah161 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:04 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:

From what I can tell, he's hitting more deep flyballs that trail off as tepid flyouts in front of the track. Last season, the focus for Kemp was just to put the ball in play, by going the opposite direction. Now that he's markedly more selective and working the counts, he's getting favorable pitches to hit.

I understand that, but if he is being more slective shouldnt he be driving the ball farther or at least for more doubles than 12!

Now I am begining to think its because he is usually batting so low in the order, but I did notice when watching the few games I get on TV he is usually in an 0-2 count seemingly before the at bat starts lol.

Hopefully he will be moved up either this year (not counting on it) or next year (could be-but we will have almost the same lineup next year)
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:43 pm

tah161 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

I understand that, but if he is being more slective shouldnt he be driving the ball farther or at least for more doubles than 12!

Now I am begining to think its because he is usually batting so low in the order, but I did notice when watching the few games I get on TV he is usually in an 0-2 count seemingly before the at bat starts lol.

Hopefully he will be moved up either this year (not counting on it) or next year (could be-but we will have almost the same lineup next year)

What I mean by being more selective is exactly what I said earlier. Part of it is not taking silly hacks. Kemp had the reputation for getting lost on offspeed pitches and would often times hack at them. He's shaved off more than 5% on hacks outside the strike zone and his first strike % is also noticeably down. Even if he's down 0-2, he's improved in not pressing and staying patient for a good pitch (hence the higher walk rate). Like I said, one thing I notice is Kemp is getting more loft in his swing and as a result, hitting more flyballs, some of which fall as the proverbial "loud outs" (either by the ball losing steam at the track or by good defense). I'd say despite the lack of doubles, he's looked more comfortable at the plate, whether or not he's hitting them up the middle or driving them deep.

Kemp is seeing more of the 5-hole/6-hole lately, but his most effective spot has been in either the 7th or 8th spot. That said, he hit within the top of the order in the pre-Manny days and did quite well. Whether or not it's a piece of strategy (whether well or ill constructed), a deference to the veteran hitter, or anything else to suggest otherwise, the reasons are vague as to why Kemp hits there, but at the least, he's thrived there.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Kraftwerk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:31 pm

So whats the general consensus on Kemps dynasty value at this time?

If you were drafting a new dynasty league now (hypothetical) would he be 1st or 2nd round talent?

(Seeing Numbers quoted of 100+/30/100+/40/.300+ would almost mean he'd be the top pick!)
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates